x20 Series: Lane Guidance and IQ Routing

TomTom Model(s)
Go 700 and Go 720
I just got off the phone with TomTom support about an unrelated issue, but I did ask and was told that Lane Guidance and IQ Routing would only be available on the new models and would not be made available for the x20 series.

Lane Guidance

This is SERIOUSLY disappointing. I have had my unit for only 4 months. If I had known about this, I definalty would have waited and searched for one after this wonderful feature was made available.

I just got off the phone with TomTom support about an unrelated issue, but I did ask and was told that Lane Guidance and IQ Routing would only be available on the new models and would not be made available for the x20 series.

A 720 user who beta tested IQ routing and Lane Guidance in January reported that TomTom has offered the map for their 720 units as a benefit for the testing.

So, I think, contrary to what you were told, that eventually all 720 users will have that opportunity -- if (always an 'if' :eek: ) the users are prepared to pay for the upgraded map that has these features.

A 720 user who beta tested IQ routing and Lane Guidance in January reported that TomTom has offered the map for their 720 units as a benefit for the testing.

So, I think, contrary to what you were told, that eventually all 720 users will have that opportunity -- if (always an 'if' :eek: ) the users are prepared to pay for the upgraded map that has these features.

I don't think so. As we discovered recently, even though voice recognition was accidentally made available for the 720 recently, the feature was withdrawn with TomTom saying that the 720 users were never meant to have it. The 930 is a variation on theme -- the hardware may be capable of handling the software, to the point that the 720, 920, and 930 may all have exactly the same hardware (with subtle differences that prevent you from installing software from another model)! The 930 is likely a new version of the software. The incremental cost and innovation is not dependent on the *device* but rather the software installed on it. I'm not at all surprised that TomTom requires purchase of a new unit to fund the extra software development investment TomTom made to develop IQ Routes.

Your friend likely broke a non-disclosure agreement when he told you he was beta testing IQ Routes on his 720. Don't hold your breath hoping that TomTom will back-port the feature.

Your friend likely broke a non-disclosure agreement when he told you he was beta testing IQ Routes on his 720. Don't hold your breath hoping that TomTom will back-port the feature.

Not my friend, just somebody posting here. Also, it's questionable whether any NDA was breached since that which was being tested is now being released.

Anyway, you may be correct; however, TomTom has certainly 'backported' software in the past as users of lower end users found with firmware updates functionality originally designed for higher end models.

(for example, users running Navcore 6x on their units got functionality originally only found in models running Navcore 7.x. And this down shift was by design, not accident).

On the other hand, based upon the lousy financial reporting of TomTom in Europe today (details posted elsewhere in this forum), we may see layoffs, much less R & D by TomTom, even less QA (now, that's scary!) So, who knows??

Well I don't believe it, I have been told by 3 different support people that the x20 and up will be supported and a free update.

There are two issues that TT has to fix/do or my Go920t will be the first and last TT I purchase.

1) They have to do a better job geting TMC traffic work.

2) They better give us software updates/new features, i.e., IQ routing and Lane Guidance, as they have in the past. It's bad enough that the newer maps are too large to put both on at once so giving us IQ routing and Lane Guidance is the least they can do since we have to purchase a card just to hold all of the maps.

There are two issues that TT has to fix/do or my Go920t will be the first and last TT I purchase.

1) They have to do a better job geting TMC traffic work.

2) They better give us software updates/new features, i.e., IQ routing and Lane Guidance,

---- Ditto with the "PaiD ServicE" TRAFFIC [thru phone]

---- And if they don't ? We'll still [as always] have means to get the X30 updates, as it'll only be a matter of days/weeks before widely available.

I've noticed several times recently that my Go 920 has given verbal instructions to "turn left, then stay in the right lane", or "bear right, then stay in the left lane". But being new to TomTom products, I don't know if this the way they have always worked, or if this is something new, and possibly an indication of things to come.

Is this old news?

I've noticed several times recently that my Go 920 has given verbal instructions to "turn left, then stay in the right lane", or "bear right, then stay in the left lane". But being new to TomTom products, I don't know if this the way they have always worked, or if this is something new, and possibly an indication of things to come.

Is this old news?

No, it's working as designed. It's telling you to turn left and stay in the right lane because soon you will be making a right hand turn.

The issue that **some** have is that the verbal instruction says to 'turn left' BUT the direction arrow on the tomtom shows that the turn is to the right. That is different than your reference.

I would not be surprised that TT offers v8 NavCore and maps on the x20 because it means map sales. They can not expect that many x20 owners would buy new units so short time since their introductions. There is also the aspect that some of those owners have a 1 year map update for free but most probably not for v8. Those x20 owners would not have given additional $ to TT but probably would for v8 maps.

As for TT ONE owners, I am not so sure because I have yet to know how much more space the new features will use as additional space. The amount of space presently taken makes those system already cramped for space...

I've seen that thread, and have experienced the problem myself a few times, though at the time I though I had just mis-heard what was said. But what I'm referring to is exactly what I mentioned. I just didn't know if TomToms have always done this, or if this was some sort of early version of the lane guidance announced for the x30 series.

Nope. Feature was there prior to any software written for the x30 models.

Ask a Question