x20 POI Database

I am looking at buying new GPS and I like th x20 series. But when trying them out in the stores, the POI database seem to be very light??? Example: I live in Atlanta Ga and the 'World of Coca-Cola' in not in the db, there were a couple of other examples but cannot remember them. It is in the Nuvi as well as the Magellan. So I wanted to post the question how extensive is the db AND is mapshare helping in filling in the gaps that will be in ANY gps POI db. To me mapshare would be one of the advantages with TomTom as long as mapshare updates the db.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

I don't think Mapshare will help with POI but sometimes members of this forum offer additional POI files. If Atlanta has World of Coca-Cola and that is were you want to go buy the Nuvi or Magellan.

A friend of mine is moving to the Atlanta area. I wonder how excited he will be when I tell him it has a World of Coca-Cola:D

I am looking at buying new GPS and I like th x20 series. But when trying them out in the stores, the POI database seem to be very light???

It depends on the map version the unit comes with. The 7.10 map has a better POI database from the 7.05 map version. If you stop by to view another x20 unit, you can follow the directions from here to view what map version it has.

The 720 poi database is terrible. You will be very dissapointed if you need to rely heavily on it with this unit. The 920 poi database is much more complete, you more than likely would find it sufficient. There are members of this forum who have kindly supplied some 720 owners with the poi files from the 920 (its fairly easy to load them on).

From what I understand, most people do like the way both Garmin and Magellin have designed their software, in regards to poi searching capabilities, when compared with Tomtom (I am one of them).

That being said, I do find I like Tomtom units over the competition in most other regards. If there are a few poi's that are missing, it is fairly easy to enter them yourself.

I don't think Mapshare will help with POI but sometimes members of this forum offer additional POI files. If Atlanta has World of Coca-Cola and that is were you want to go buy the Nuvi or Magellan.

A friend of mine is moving to the Atlanta area. I wonder how excited he will be when I tell him it has a World of Coca-Cola:D

So mapshare is not used to update POI? I thought that was one of its main functions. That is interesting - I need to go back re-read mapshare again.

Ask a Question