WTE Europe map update

Another question on my new 540 WTE TM.

When I update to new map, using 30 day latest map guarantee, I ALREADY don't have enough space to download and install the whole Europe that is already on my device. TomTom seems to have divided Europe into zones.

I don't want to lose out. I want to be able to put ALL of Europe on my device. Now if that means to temporarily remove North America, that's OK, I can always put it back on later.

If I download a certain zone, will I be able to switch zones whenever I want? Or, do I have to choose the best zone possible because this is the only updated download I can do?

I just don't want to lose out on the fact that I have ALL of Europe on my device right now, I don't want to lose countries that I would use in the future.

What should I do?

JF

Be aware that (in the fine print), TomTom has a disclaimer that says, in effect, your lifetime map updates will include ONLY your North America map, not the European map, although you can get a zone of the Europe map as part of the LMG.

But, for example, when the 860 map comes out (November probably....) you will get an update for the NA map, not the European zone and certainly not the full European map you started with.

Lousy information? You betcha :mad:

But only if you and all other North americans contact support at 866-486-6866 and complain about it, might anything get done ..... maybe.

Yea, I had read that on the net. Not very fair, but watcha gonna do. I wish I could have lifetime updates of Europe, but I won't fight for it, as I'm really worried about lifetime maps in NA and traffic in NA.

My question though has to do with Europe being split up in zones. If I download a zone, am I losing out on the other zones? Or, does it download the whole Europe map, but only installs one zone at a time on the device itself (ie not losing out at all)?

JF

Think what you will find is this:

When you go to Home: Manage My Unit-->Maps: It'll show the zone on your device, like Europe--Western Zone.

BUT.....

There will be another link there, 'Change Map Zone' and there you'll be able to select another European zone to install from the full map.

BUT.....................

Don't do this before making a full Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Better safe than sorry.

Ask a Question