Wrong street names.. kinda seems like a waste of money now..

Hello all.. new to tomtom.... but have questions..

I already ran into the maps not having my street on the maps.. and the street has been here for well over a year...

First off, I live in Regina, Saskatchewan Canada..

and went out to try it today for the first time... running it on my Palm Treo 650....

as stated above... my street isn't on there....

second: street names on the directions as I pass the street are the wrong name. The name that is there isn't even close to what the street name acually is... funny thing it's not all the streets, only some.. and some streets that are the wrong name aren't even new streets... what can be done about this??

I do recognize that some streets are names from other cities that I know in Western Canada..

Anyone with any information?? Thanks

I've noticed in my area that alot of roads that are county roads are named wrong on the TT. I think TT uses the OLD street names and since then the city have renamed many of them using county road XXXX.

I wonder if your streets were once called one thing and then renamed?

I've noticed in my area that alot of roads that are county roads are named wrong on the TT. I think TT uses the OLD street names and since then the city have renamed many of them using county road XXXX.

I wonder if your streets were once called one thing and then renamed?

Hello... no definately not... some names of the streets are the ones that are in Calgary.. I've lived here in Regina all my life.. and nope.. these streets here have all stayed the same name... and there are alot... in about 2 miles I will regularly see the wrong names... the street is there, but the name is wrong...
some of the major streets as well are not right..

I'm not that happy with this tomtom... i got it for my palm on ebay and now it seems worthless.... there are many names that aren't right....
there must be a cure.. is there somewhere else I can get a map from?? I need it for my city.. i'm not worried about other cities now... I'm in Real Estate and need the appropriate street names and locations...

thanks.. and i'm still wondering about the maps?? do they have to come from tomtom??

wow... sorry to hear that. The street labelling is pretty good in Vancouver. It's missing a few places though. I'm hoping (and internetpilot helped reassure me) that the new maps will be better.

when I enter my code on tomtom.com it tells me that I have the current maps... do you think that i do or no??

I'm going to call customer service tomorrow again... as I don't think this is worth what I paid for it... is there other places I can get other maps from?

thanks

when I enter my code on tomtom.com it tells me that I have the current maps... do you think that i do or no??

I'm going to call customer service tomorrow again... as I don't think this is worth what I paid for it... is there other places I can get other maps from?

thanks
You're using the ONE?

if so, you're using 660.1215. It'll say you have the latest maps but this new one is even newer (665.xxxx). Just order it. You'll be able to place and order and only pay s/h for it ($6). I'm still awaiting mine. Other ONE users have gotten theirs but I haven't heard from any Canadian users who have ordered one saying they've received the DVD.

You're using the ONE?

if so, you're using 660.1215. It'll say you have the latest maps but this new one is even newer (665.xxxx). Just order it. You'll be able to place and order and only pay s/h for it ($6). I'm still awaiting mine. Other ONE users have gotten theirs but I haven't heard from any Canadian users who have ordered one saying they've received the DVD.

not sure one?? I'm using navigator 6 on my palm treo.... newbie here...

so is this what I have?? should I order a new map??

You probably do not have the latest version of the maps. They have come out with newer maps since Palm Navigator 6 was released. The map update DVD that I just received for my TomTom GO700 also has maps in Palm and WindowsMobile format, too, so apparently this map update is for all devices (GO, One, Palm, PPC, etc.).

As for the inaccuracies, that's not TomTom's fault. They're only using data from TeleAtlas (and NavTeq for one device), so they are completely dependent on TeleAtlas providing accurate data for your area. There are links on the TomTom site for providing corrections to TeleAtlas, but that will only help you for the next map version (which likely won't be for at least year). If you do have an older version of the maps, updating to the latest version that was just released the end of December 2006 may help solve a lot of your problems. I would definitely call TomTom support and get them to tell you if the streets in your area have been corrected in the new version. $50 is $50 -- why pay it if nothing in your area has been corrected or updated, right?

Write to tele atlas

http://www.teleatlas.com/Pub/Support/MapFeedback/index.htm

they will eventually correct it

Even better, just use their online error reporting tool, MapInsight;

http://www.teleatlas.com/MapInsight/index.htm

You may find that they have already made the changes.

FYI, TomTom don't sell through eBay. You may have a pirate copy of their software, which they would be quite right to refuse support on. Someone can't legitimately complain about errors in a pirated copy of their map can they?

http link:

mapinsightservices.teleatlas.com/Map?ClientId=MapInsight&MinLat=46.78470133247959&MinLon=-71.28718122656562&MaxLat=46.79048614318989&MaxLon=-71.28075365910973&SizeX=500&SizeY=450

This is near to my home in Quebec city. That small round-about does not exist in TomTom MAP USA-Canada v665.1293. TomTom MAP is not update.

When I received my TomTom One in mid-March and entered the code into the Web site it told me I had the latest maps also. I went to order the new maps anyway and the info I put in there said I was eligible for the new maps. It turned out, that based on the map version, the maps that came on my TomTom were not the latest ones that are on the CD. I'd order the new maps and see if that solves your problem.

http link:

mapinsightservices.teleatlas.com/Map?ClientId=MapInsight&MinLat=46.78470133247959&MinLon=-71.28718122656562&MaxLat=46.79048614318989&MaxLon=-71.28075365910973&SizeX=500&SizeY=450

This is near to my home in Quebec city. That small round-about does not exist in TomTom MAP USA-Canada v665.1293. TomTom MAP is not update.
665.1293 is the latest one. The ones in your TT should be 660.1215.

Touareg, don't fret. It seems nothing in Canada has changed other than the removal of Tim Horton's. It seems like all the new road updates are in the US.

my TomTom Navigator is v6.030 and map is v665.1293.

I used it this week to route and navigate my trip to another city and I found it is really user-friendly and useful.

My question is kind of related....I'll make up the road names to protect the innocent, but I have a question for the gurus out there. The below refers to the North America maps

Before we got 9-1-1 service in my areas (probably 8 or so years ago), the road I live on was known as State Route 433. After we got 9-1-1 service, they started naming all the roads so emergency service could find the houses. So my road then became Suffolk-Trenton Rd. The previous version of the TomTom maps had my road named properly (Suffolk-Trenton) but unfortunately the maps became out of date and didn't show a lot of the new roads in my area

I just updated to the latest maps (v665.1293) yesterday and in putting in my home address I notice it wasn't finding Suffolk-Trenton rd. So I tried State Route 433 and sure enough, it found it. The good thing is, all the new roads they've built in the past few years are now in the maps.

However, I also noticed a lot of other roads (both in the old maps and the new maps) instead of being refered to by their name - like Dresser Rd - are listed as County Route 40 (which no one knows the road by - even the locals). Is there some option I'm missing to get road "names" to display vs. route numbers?

Hi,
I also live in Regina, SK and just purchased a ONE XL unit. There are many streets that have existed for several years that aren't on the map. In neighbouring White City/Emerald Park there is a whole subdivision (10 years old) that isn't on the map. I went to the Teleatlas site to report some of these and found that Teleatlas has all the info correctly mapped, even some of the newest streets! I have done a map update in TT, and it says I have the newest map. Can anyone explain this?

A lot goes into changing the maps in their systems and then making them available in the map updates. Just because it's correct on the website doesn't mean the latest map update is the same. It's a timely process but Tele Atlas makes corrections as quickly as possible. I'm sure its not far away from being corrected on the next update. :)

Ask a Question