`worried` about conecting tomtom one xl to computer

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
"Hello" - I KNOW that this will sound `Ridiculous` - BUT - I am `Worried` about connecting my TomTom One XL to my Computer.

After reading some of the `Posts` on here - I am concerned that something that I am `not aware` that I should or should not `Do` would RUIN my TomTom.

I have read `Posts` that seem to suggest that SOME people have connected their TomTom to a Computer - THEN it no longer Works or has a BIG PROBLEM !

I am NOT in any way an `Expert` in Computing - I only use one for Emailing and Internet Browsing - So I would have No Idea what to do in the event of a Problem with my TomTom.

Can anyone give Me a List of `DO NOT DOs` - ??

I am really surprised at the amount of Problems with TomToms on this Forum - `Countless` Problems !!

"Sorry" if this `Post` sounds `Pathetic` ! - I cannot contemplate `RUINING` my TomTom - Perhaps there is NOT enough `Benefit` in `Updating` and Creating a `Back Up` to merit my `Fears` - ??

"Regards",

CHRISMUR.

Always have an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Understand, it is the nature of this and other forums like this for users who are having problems (or WANT to avoid having problems) to make posts.

You do need to connect to Home 2 software to get updates for your unit. So, make that backup.

"Thank You dhn",

My Question gives a clue that I am `Worried` about connecting to my Computer - To carry out a `Back Up` - OR - Anything else.

I realise that Forums such as this are primarily for people who have `Problems` with their `devices` - I also realise that their are probably MILLIONS of TomTom Owners - `Worldwide` - ?? - so perhaps `Thousands` of Problems are to `Be Expected` - ??

Is there any way that connecting my TomTom to my Computer - even to do a `Back Up` to my P.C. - could `Destroy` the Functioning [or other] of my TomTom ??

Although I have not taken `Screenshots` of any of the `Posts` that I have read on the Forum - prior to MY `Post` - I seem to have read complaints that people have connected to their Computer - THEN - something `RUINS` their TomTom !! - ??

HOW could that kind of thing happen - Or is this a `Ridiculous` Question ??

I am assuming that people DO NOT act in a irresponsible manner when their TomTom is connected to their P.C. - So it
must be that something causes a Failure of the Device ??

"Sorry" - If these are `Unanswerable Questions` - I really am NOT experienced in Computing - having `Taught Myself` - Late in Life.

ANY Help is `REALLY APPRECIATED` - "Thanks".

CHRISMUR.

Things should be ok.

Just remember, if you are getting updates using Home, you MUST disconnect the unit from Home PROPERLY using the Device Disconnect icon to make sure any data transferred from Home to the unit has been completely written to the flash drive of the unit.

Disconnecting prematurely CAN screw things up.

That also includes turning off the TomTom unit (which is the same as disconnecting). The USB cable normally provides enough power for the TomTom to operate. However, there could be a problem if you hook it up to an external USB hub (a device where you can get two or four USB ports from just one on the computer itself). If the battery on the Tomtom went dead while the hub can't supply enough power, that would be like disconnecting also.

"Thank You Both",

These items of Information are EXACTLY what I am trying to find out - BEFORE Connecting to my Computer.

Regarding `Disconnecting from the Computer` using the Icon - Do You mean the `Safely Remove Hardware & Eject Media` ICON on Windows [7] - ?? OR is there an Icon on my TomTom - for `Disconnecting` - ??

Regarding the Connection via the USB - That is a VERY useful `Reminder` regarding the TomTom having enough Power - I personally don`t use a `USB Hub` - but quite a few people that I know DO.

Also I would always ensure that I `Fully Charged` my TomTom before connecting to the Computer - for the reason that I would be aware that it would be `BAD` for the Power to dissipate DURING an `Update` or other process.

I really NEED to know the answer to the `Disconnecting Icon` "Please" - as unlike others - I will not be `Noticing` this during connection to the Computer - I need to KNOW before using the Computer - "Thanks".

All other suggestions `Welcomed`.

"Regards",

CHRISMUR

Chris,

At the bottom right-hand corner of TomTom HOME program, there is a little blue icon to click on to 'safely remove device' (the one for your computer on your system's tray is acceptable too). The reason this is important is although you think all the writing to any USB device is finished, it may not be. There may still be some files open. By clicking on 'safely remove device' it tells your computer to finish what ever it needs to do and allow me to disconnect. Then when the computer is finished you'll see a screen that says it's "Safe to remove device".

Just click on the blue arrow just to the right of the red circle. (see image)
home6.gif

"Thank You Rick F",

I am now `Clear` on that point - I will have to `Guess` that if Experts such as Yourself have `Viewed` my Original Question about possible `Pitfalls` of connecting my TomTom to a Computer - and then replied with the answer to a follow up point - That You cannot suggest any `Other` possible Problems that I as `very inexperienced` in Computing might have to `BEWARE` - ??

I can see that the points that were `Posted` in answer to my Question ARE `Vitally Important` - and that NOT being aware of those WOULD BE a possible `Disaster` waiting to happen !

Has anyone got any further suggestions - things that I should know about BEFORE connecting to the Computer,

`Tips for people without Computer Knowledge`

"Thanks Everyone" - I appreciate ALL of your Help.

"Regards",

CHRISMUR.

CHRISMUR;143356 the Computer` using the Icon - Do You mean the `Safely Remove Hardware & Eject Media` ICON on Windows [7 said:
- ?? OR is there an Icon on my TomTom - for `Disconnecting` - ??
I really NEED to know the answer to the `Disconnecting Icon` "Please"

Rick F. mentions a specific solution for if Home is running (the button in Home itself), but for more general times when the TomTom is connected to the computer, it's the `Safely Remove Hardware & Eject Media` ICON in the Windows 'system tray' (the row of icons in the bottom right corner next to the system clock) that you need to use. There is no icon on the TomTom itself.

Hope that helps...

"Hi Andy_P",

Thank You for the Information - I NOW Know to use the `Safe Disconnection` Icons BOTH on the TomTom Home `Program` AND the Icon on my Computer when I am wanting to `Physically` Remove the TomTom USB Lead from the Computer.

I NEED to receive this type of Clarification relating to ANYTHING that MIGHT be `Misunderstood` by Me - "Thanks".

CHRISMUR.

Here's the bottom line:

There are no guarantees in life or in operating an electronic unit, such as a gps.

That said, making an Explorer backup, NOT Home, has gotten many people out of bad situations

AND............

Disconnecting your unit IMPROPERLY from Home has probably caused more problems than anything else when it comes to dealing with Home and the tomtom unit.

"Thank You dhn",

Without wanting to `bore You` - the REASON that I am `ULTRA` cautious about connecting my TomTom to my Computer is that I am from a Generation where Personal Computers did not exist when I was at School and at University.

I did not Work in an Environment where Computers were used - Until approx. the last 5 - 10 Years - and even then NOT by ME
as I was not in the section of my Industry that started to use Computers.

When I decided to purchase a Computer - I did so and then I `Self Taught` ONLY the things that I was interested in - `Browsing` the Internet and Emailing - So THOSE `tasks` were NOT hard to Learn.

BECAUSE I am an `Absolute Novice` in Computing - AND obviously would NOT be able to `resolve` even the `Simplest` of `Problems` - I needed to ask for the Advice of `Experts` such as Yourself - So as NOT to do anything wrong when connecting my TomTom to my Computer.

CHILDREN have more `Expertise` and `Knowledge` in Computing than ME !

I wanted to EXPLAIN this to You - So that You would completely understand my `Concerns`.

"Thank You" for Your Help - I really appreciate it - and that of the other `responders`.

"Regards",

CHRISMUR.

The fact you have enough savvy to even seek out a forum such as this says more about you than anything, Chrismur, and puts you miles ahead of many who dive in without a safety net and then have trouble finding their way out.

As to age.......

I'm in my seventh decade on this planet...........:)

I have had a tom tom 1v3 for a couple of years with no problems and I have just bought a tomtom one xl. since updating to the new map it now directs me to about 120 yards past my destination and also the battery does not charge up fully, so I used the original backup I created and everything was fine again ie destination right up to the address I put in and the battery charging properly but as soon as I update the map it goes back to the previous errors.I have been in touch with tom tom help but up to now I can not put these errors right, its as if there is a problem with there downloads. any help would be appreciated as I am on the verge of returning the unit to the shop aqs I have spent many hours trying to fix this problem. I am based in England.
regards Roy

Ask a Question