Working with Car's built in bluetooth

This might be a silly question but how does the iphone car kit work with a car's built in bluetooth set up? Will there be any difference in behaviour between using bluetooth in the car kit or using bluetooth in my car's audio system?

I'm assuming that I'd not pair my phone with the car kit but does this affect any of the other functionality such as playing music, audio instructions?

And am I right to assume that the tomtom app will stop audio instructions when a call is in progress?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

If you already have a BT audio system for the audio and want to use the TomTom Car Kit you can do so quite easily (I do this daily) simply drop the iPhone in the car kit and don't pair up the Bluetooth to the TomTom car kit, the docking connection will supply the GPS data and the audio goes out via the car Bluetooth system.

In use if you accept a call the Nav application will stop, when you terminate the call the nav application will resume taking you o your destination, this is an Apple restriction that applies to all navigation based application running on the iPhone - Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I probably didn't explain myself very well. My car is a Ford S-Max which has Bluetooth for handling phone calls, not for music. However, the car does have a line in jack.

So if my phone is paired to the car to handle phone calls, and not the car kit, am I able to get audio out, for music and spoken navigation directions, via either the cradle speaker or to my audio system via the line in jack.

Regards,

Steve

Less than 2 weeks ago I drove 1000 miles in an S-Max and never even considered messing with the Bluetooth or line in capability even though I hade the required cables in the laptop bag - Must try harder next time and make some notes!

The car was supplied by Avis, I would think your best bet is to use the Line in connection to the car connected to the Line out socket on the TomTom Car Kit with the iPhone paired to the TomTom cradle but I am not 100% sure, connecting in this way will give you music from the iPhone via the car speakers though - Mike

Ask a Question