Won't turn on unless plugged in

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL S
My TTOne XLS won't turn on unless it's connected to the computer via the USB cable or plugged into the car charger. I can unplug it from the computer or car charger and it will stay on but I can't go the other way. I've noticed that the battery charge symbol shows it charging for a few seconds when connected to the computer but it's fully charged in just a few seconds. This is a relatively new problem and has just been happening the last 2 weeks. I tried a hard reset but that didn't change anything. Everything is up to date from TT Home so I don't think that should have anything to do with it. Anyone have a similar problem or heard how to fix this?

My TTOne XLS won't turn on unless it's connected to the computer via the USB cable or plugged into the car charger. I can unplug it from the computer or car charger and it will stay on but I can't go the other way. I've noticed that the battery charge symbol shows it charging for a few seconds when connected to the computer but it's fully charged in just a few seconds. This is a relatively new problem and has just been happening the last 2 weeks. I tried a hard reset but that didn't change anything. Everything is up to date from TT Home so I don't think that should have anything to do with it. Anyone have a similar problem or heard how to fix this?

This sounds like the problem that happens every once in awhile when the SD card is removed or inserted.

Are you using and SD card?

If so, did you try the following?
1) Remove the SD card
2) Boot the TomTom
3) Insert the SD card with the TomTom ON
4) Once the TomTom boots with the SD card, hit the hard RESET button
5) Once the TomTom reboots, this issue should go away

If that doesn't work, try the clear flash tool from TomTom:
>>> Clear Flash <<<

Haven't started using an SD card yet so that isn't an issue. I'll try the clear flash tool and see if that does the trick.

Haven't started using an SD card yet so that isn't an issue. I'll try the clear flash tool and see if that does the trick.

Although the power should shut off when you remove the power source from the unit, you still may want to check that you don't have the option turned on that will automatically turn the unit off when power is disconnected.

[CHANGE PREFERENCES ] --> [BATTERY SAVING PREFERENCES] --> [DONE] --> [SWITCH OFF WHEN EXTERNAL POWER IS OFF]

Make sure there isn't a checkmark on the last option.

Tried the flash and it worked although was a little leery about trying something listed as being for the GO and 510/920 series.

I discovered the "switch off" option hidden in the battery preferences after I did the reflash but that probably wasn't enabled since it would previously stay on when disconnected.

In any case, the flash utility worked. I really appreciate the straightforward help.

Tried the flash and it worked although was a little leery about trying something listed as being for the GO and 510/920 series.

I discovered the "switch off" option hidden in the battery preferences after I did the reflash but that probably wasn't enabled since it would previously stay on when disconnected.

In any case, the flash utility worked. I really appreciate the straightforward help.

Excellent! Something must've gotten a little mixed up in the internal flash memory of the TomTom. The flash tool simply clears out that temporary memory so that it is forced to reload next time you boot.

Glad all is good.

Actually, I've been exercising this thing quite a bit the last week and a half. Plenty of mixed up entries and changes as I navigated around Ft Lauderdale and across Alligator Alley so some flash memory corruption sounds reasonable.

Oh - Oh, problem has returned. It only seems to be able to go through one power cycle after being unplugged and then only if you power off before unplugging. If you leave it on and disconnect the power, it won't restart on battery alone. Another observation, I don't have the tomtom drum sound on startup when plugged in but do have the sound when starting up on battery alone. Any new suggestions?

Tried a hot reset while connected as recommended by the TT support website and no change.

I now have another question concerning using the hard reset. If the unit is on when I use the reset hole, shoulnd't I see the screen flash or something? There doesn't seem to be any resistance on the paperclip to indicate that the switch actually bottomed out so I'm not sure it actually reset anything.

Things are getting worse!

Did a hot reset and also ran the flash utility again. Now, when plugged in to the computer), it says that I'm in Ft Lauderdale Florida. Yes, I was there yesterday but it gives my correct location when not plugged into the computer. What's even more bizarre is that this is a different computer than what I was using in Florida. The satellite location (while plugged in) says that I'm near the 27th parallel (which sounds about right for Ft Lauderdale) but I'm actually just south of the 45th parallel right now, and it shows that when not connected to the computer.

So what the heck is going on? Am I in the twilight zone?

Tried a hot reset while connected as recommended by the TT support website and no change.

I now have another question concerning using the hard reset. If the unit is on when I use the reset hole, shoulnd't I see the screen flash or something? There doesn't seem to be any resistance on the paperclip to indicate that the switch actually bottomed out so I'm not sure it actually reset anything.

Are you sure you are getting right to the bottom of the little hole with the clip and how long are you holding it there for? I've seen suggestions for 30 seconds.

Let's scratch that mess about TT Home not knowing where I'm at. It was due to an out of date version of Home on a different computer.

The power issue is still here. Basically, after disconnect from an external power supply (computer, charger, or car power jack), I can turn it on and off only once. After that, it won't turn on while on the battery alone. I believe the battery is fully charged since this has happened after several hours of being connected to the USB port, car power outlet, and cell phone charger.

Another observation is that I need to shut it off before disconnecting from the computer or I can't restart on battery at all. I can keep it on and disconnect from the computer but if I shut it off, it won't restart.

Let's scratch that mess about TT Home not knowing where I'm at. It was due to an out of date version of Home on a different computer.

The power issue is still here. Basically, after disconnect from an external power supply (computer, charger, or car power jack), I can turn it on and off only once. After that, it won't turn on while on the battery alone. I believe the battery is fully charged since this has happened after several hours of being connected to the USB port, car power outlet, and cell phone charger.

Another observation is that I need to shut it off before disconnecting from the computer or I can't restart on battery at all. I can keep it on and disconnect from the computer but if I shut it off, it won't restart.

Well........I've seen suggestions in other forums that you press the reset and hold down WHILE you are pressing the power button to turn it on.

Dunno.......mabe you should deal with customer support, considering the aggrevation you're having.

Are you sitting down? I read that somebody with a similar problem called Customer Support, pleaded his case about the problems he was having and they sent a brand new 920 unit as a replacement.

While I wouldn't hold my breath .... who knows? :confused:

Are you sitting down? I read that somebody with a similar problem called Customer Support, pleaded his case about the problems he was having and they sent a brand new 920 unit as a replacement.

While I wouldn't hold my breath .... who knows? :confused:

I don't know about replacing a one with a 920, but I'm sure that they are pretty good at getting you to feel good about their customer service.

I had a Rider v 1 replaced with a Rider v 2.

I also had a car mount for the v1 and when they didn't replace it with a mount for my v2 (which costs more and has a speaker), it only took a few calls and they sent me one. I was not complaining too much, I just asked that they replace what I sent them when I was told "send everything you have, because it doesn't work with the new unit". They did, which made me one happy TomTom owner.

Oh no - I just found the problem and am really embarassed. I haven't used the SD card slot yet so didn't remove the tape. While looking for the reset, saw what looked like a standard reset hole and assumed that was it. Well, seems that's the antenna jack and not the reset and explains why I was asking why I wasn't seeing anything happen while pressing the reset with a paperclip. The TT site finally came up with the picture of the reset hole and guess what, you have to remove the tape from the SD slot to see it. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Powerup on battery works fine now with multiple attempts. Feel a bit like a putz but hope this experience helps someone else.

Oh no - I just found the problem and am really embarassed. I haven't used the SD card slot yet so didn't remove the tape. While looking for the reset, saw what looked like a standard reset hole and assumed that was it. Well, seems that's the antenna jack and not the reset and explains why I was asking why I wasn't seeing anything happen while pressing the reset with a paperclip. The TT site finally came up with the picture of the reset hole and guess what, you have to remove the tape from the SD slot to see it. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Powerup on battery works fine now with multiple attempts. Feel a bit like a putz but hope this experience helps someone else.

A-ha! Yes, the little white sticker they place over the SD card slot.... Glad all has been resolved....

Just found this thread. I'm having a similar issue with my TT one. (not sure what version, it works off the chip only no internal memory)

It seems for me I can not turn on the TT w/ the SD card inserted. I can pop it out and it will boot up asking for the chip. After the card is in everything works fine (I double checked I don't have the card in read only mode) When I hook the TT up to the PC I get the do you want to hook up or not and then I can start it no problem. It seemed after having it hooked to the PC it would start with the chip for one cycle then every subsequent try I needed to remove the chip. Also when I did get it going again after removing the chip, it would boot up with the agreement screen each time. While reading this thread I just did a reset (w/o the chip inserted) and now it's seems to be working fine now. I also did a reset with the chip in place and other than the legal notice again, I've done several restarts with the chip inserted. I was going to go right to flash tool but so far it looks like I'm OK. Just wanted to chime in and also subscribe to the thread in case this does not take .

Just found this thread. I'm having a similar issue with my TT one. (not sure what version, it works off the chip only no internal memory)

It seems for me I can not turn on the TT w/ the SD card inserted. I can pop it out and it will boot up asking for the chip. After the card is in everything works fine (I double checked I don't have the card in read only mode) When I hook the TT up to the PC I get the do you want to hook up or not and then I can start it no problem. It seemed after having it hooked to the PC it would start with the chip for one cycle then every subsequent try I needed to remove the chip. Also when I did get it going again after removing the chip, it would boot up with the agreement screen each time. While reading this thread I just did a reset (w/o the chip inserted) and now it's seems to be working fine now. I also did a reset with the chip in place and other than the legal notice again, I've done several restarts with the chip inserted. I was going to go right to flash tool but so far it looks like I'm OK. Just wanted to chime in and also subscribe to the thread in case this does not take .

This is a very common problem with these units. Here is the simple way to resolve this issue:
1) Turn on the unit with NO SD card in the slot
2) Once the unit completed booting, plug in the SD card while the unit is ON
3) Once the unit reboots with the SD card, press the RESET button on the bottom of the unit
4) The unit should now boot fine when you turn it on. You should only have to press the RESET button once after inserting the SD card, other boots should work fine unless you take the SD card out and put it back in.

I've noticed that every once in awhile if I plug the unit into a USB port and then try to boot it later, that I may need to follow that sequence again as you have stated above. A tad bit of a pain, but my procedure above always works for me.

Last edited:
tomtom wont start up

i was having a problem similar to this with my purchased YESTERDAY 920T. I'm assuming it all started after being updated....

it wouldnt start up unless i held down the reset button on the bottom for 20 to 30 seconds first. this wouldnt happen all of the time though, it only wouldnt start up if i left it off for more then oh say... ten minutes or more.

i called tomtom and they helped me out right away. dont email them, CALL THEM!

this is what the helpdesk tech had me do...

1. get my tomtom to turn on with my secret reset button trick

2. connect it to tomtom home on my computer

3. go to "copy to my computer" so i can load what ive already downloaded before to my tomtom

4. choose to reinstall my application update thing that i had downloaded before and click add to get it installed

5. go to tomtom.com/6221 at this website, you have to download the flash tool

6. wait for the application to finish its install and once its done run the flash tool. wait for the tomtom to reboot and then run it one more time. after the tomtom has rebooted all the way in the tomtom home program in the file menu area select device and then disconnect.

from that he said my tomtom SHOULD be cured.

after testing this, i was sort of pissed for a minute bc i wasnt sure it worked... as i was calling them back i looked down and my tomtom had started up.

hopefully this fix works for someone else out there!

This was one of the reasons I sought out these forums. The reset without SD card trick worked so far. I had previously tried the flash tool to no avail.

Thanks for hopefully fixing my TomTom.

Ask a Question