Won't switch on despite being charged?

Newbie here *waves*

Dad's just rung me up to say his TomTom One is playing up. He's had it on charge all day and when it's plugged in it works, but when he unplugs it he can't get it to switch on and work. Could this be his battery not holding charge or something else?

I am one of the very few who doesn't own a satnav so am completely clueless. Any help would be appreciated. He tells me he thinks it's the first edition tomtom one and is definitely out of warranty. He uses the satnav almost daily for his job as a van driver so the sooner I can get him sorted the better.

Thanking you all in advance. :)

Could be a couple things. Maybe hes not letting it charge long enough before unplugging it and trying. Maybe the battery is in fact actually dead or dying (there are actually ways to replace it even though it doesnt look possible).

It COULD even be a setting within the Tomtom. This is what I would check first. In my XL if I click Preferences > Brightness Preferences > Done . The first screen after that will make the screen turn off if the external power is lost. If you press done again. You have the option of totally turning the Tomtom off if external power is lost.

I would start there. Make sure the screen is set to always on, and the power off if external power is lost is unchecked...

Thanks CynicX

He'd had the tomtom on charge for 8 hours yesterday and at least 16 hours the day before and when it's switched on in the van he always plugs it in to charge. He very rarely uses it without it being on charge. I therefore think he is charging it enough before unplugging but will do no harm for me to just double check with him.

As for the brightness settings suggestion will check that for him. Any possibility is worth looking into.
As for a dying battery, are these easy and inexpensive to replace if that is the cause of his problems?

I do appreciate your help. When it's charging it works fine. It's just when he unplugs it. Will see how he gets on.

Thanks again.

I have the One XL and maybe when plugged into the vehicle it shouldn't matter if the battery is dead? I just don't use mine normally if it's not plugged into the vehicle, also does he plug into the computer and connect and let it update? after all the updates and he is ready to disconnect he needs to go up on top and click on device and then click on disconnect device, after it says device disconnected then watch his screen and on the bottom of the TT he should watch the bottom of the screen and see the yellow line go across the bottom of the screen and this is TT installing all the updates, then he can disconnect from the computer.

Thankyou all very much for taking the time to reply. For some peculiar reason it's now working fine. If I didn't know better I'd say he hadn't charged it for long enough but he definitely had it on charge for a total of 24 hours in a 2 day period. Will keep an eye on it just in case and bear all your replies in mind.

Eldorado - yep he disconnects properly, because I have to oversee him using the t'internet!
Doctormstein1 - havent' done a soft boot, but will consider if it goes wrong again.
CynicX - thanks for the link to that thread. I am wondering if his battery's having a mad moment so will keep an eye on it for him and take it from there.

Cheers.

my tomtom one v2 did the same. to fix it i removed the sd card and it should switch on fine without external power, put the sd card back in the tomtom and use a paper clip to press the small reset button.

Thankyou all very much for taking the time to reply. For some peculiar reason it's now working fine. If I didn't know better I'd say he hadn't charged it for long enough but he definitely had it on charge for a total of 24 hours in a 2 day period. Will keep an eye on it just in case and bear all your replies in mind.

Eldorado - yep he disconnects properly, because I have to oversee him using the t'internet!
Doctormstein1 - havent' done a soft boot, but will consider if it goes wrong again.
CynicX - thanks for the link to that thread. I am wondering if his battery's having a mad moment so will keep an eye on it for him and take it from there.

Cheers.

Unlikely, a battery is either Working, or Dead....s**t life huh? :)

Ask a Question