Won't shut off!

I've got a TomTomHOME 3rd edition and it was working fine........until I went and checked to see if there were any updates. I thought I had updated but ever since then I've had trouble with it working.

Right now it won't shut off. I'm letting it run down the battery and try starting again. Have done that once already.
When it is plugged into the computer, it just stays on the front page and tapping the screen doesn't do anything.
I saw someone mention "reset" but don't know if that's what it needs.
I sent an email into support on the TomTom website but that will take a couple of days to hear from them.
Was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?
Hoping to get this resolved as we're going on holidays next Monday and would like to use it.
Look forward to some suggestions.
Lynda

I've got a TomTomHOME 3rd edition and it was working fine........until I went and checked to see if there were any updates. I thought I had updated but ever since then I've had trouble with it working.

Right now it won't shut off. I'm letting it run down the battery and try starting again. Have done that once already.
When it is plugged into the computer, it just stays on the front page and tapping the screen doesn't do anything.
I saw someone mention "reset" but don't know if that's what it needs.
I sent an email into support on the TomTom website but that will take a couple of days to hear from them.
Was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?
Hoping to get this resolved as we're going on holidays next Monday and would like to use it.
Look forward to some suggestions.
Lynda

Well, it won't hurt to try a pin reset in the bottom of the unit. And, if that doesn't work, you may wish to give ashot at downloading and trying the Clear Flash utility. Here's the link: http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4

I havent had that prob since updating the application to 7.45. Prior to that it often wouldnt turn off after being plugged into the puter. Had to do a reset each time. Not sure where your reset is, but on my TTR2, there is a very small hole besde the SD card slot.

Works fine now.

Cheers!

Do I push the reset button with the TomTom turned on or off?

Is that application 7.5 for your TomTom? I believe I have the latest app for my 3rd edition. It's 2.3.1.92

I tried the reset while it was on but it just turns it off. When I start it up again, the first screen comes on with the finger pointing........then it brightens up.......then it just freezes. Tapping on the screen does nothing. It doesn't even ask if you want to connect with the computer.

I'm off now to try that Clear Flash Utility.
Thanks for all your help.

Did the Clear Flash thing and we're back to square one. Nothing is changed.

Looks like I'm going to have to phone their Support...........arrrrggghhhhh!!!!!:mad:

It paid off!!! I have to say their support were very helpful and didn't have to wait very long........and it didn't sound like it was "out of country":)

The tech had me hit the reset button, then on the Home page, in the Remove Items from Device, delete the app and reinstalled it.

It is now working. They said while downloading the update, the application must have got corrupted somehow. I guess this was like a reformat.

Maybe my topic will help someone else with the same problem.

It paid off!!! I have to say their support were very helpful and didn't have to wait very long........and it didn't sound like it was "out of country":)

The tech had me hit the reset button, then on the Home page, in the Remove Items from Device, delete the app and reinstalled it.

It is now working. They said while downloading the update, the application must have got corrupted somehow. I guess this was like a reformat.

Maybe my topic will help someone else with the same problem.

I was going to suggest removing the application and re-installing. Honest! :)

Anywa, that version you referred to a few posts up is actually the Home version installed, not the firmware version on your unit. To find what is installed, tap the satellite bars once. The next screen shows the version. (tap that screen and the next screen shows info including the map and version installed).

Now then, now that it's working, make a complete backup of your unit using Explorer, not Home. Make sure Windows shows hiiden files and extensions for known file types. (You achieve that via Control Panel--Folder options--Advanced).

Glad things are ok.

Ask a Question