Won't boot--shows Red X (Red Circle with white X)

So a friend of mine who is not too savvy asked for my help with her GO 930. She was "updating the maps or something" and now it doesn't work.

What we have is a unit that has the screen that has a white border, green rectangle, and a picture of the unit itself, with what I guess is a CD player in the lower right hand corner and a blinking red circle with a white X in it.

When I plug it into a computer I get the same screen with just the picture of the TomTom.

Running Windows 7 and it does pop up and say "hey what do you want to do with this" and it lists INTERNAL as drive G: and I can browse several directories and stuff.

I haven't installed TomTom Home yet or anything.

I searched these forums a couple of times (the "random" question is 3+4 every time) before joining and asking.

Last edited:
Try this:
1. connect to the computer. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

2. Use Explorer to look at the contents of the unit. do you see a specific folder called North_America_2gb with a bunch of files in it?

3. If so, after the Explorer backup, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

4. Get the latest version of Home from here:
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems

and install it.

5. Connect the unit to Home with the same email address/password used initially with the unit prior to the updating.

6. Accept and install the application offerewd and install it.

7. Disconnect the unit PROPERLY from Home using the Device Disconnect icon in Home's screen.

8. Reboot the unit and see if things are ok now.

OK what I have is a folder (among other folders) called North_America, and as far as one with 2GB after it, there is one called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB

This GPS is meant to be used in the USA.
Thoughts?

I already backed it up.

What model does she have? (I don't know why I thought in your first post that you said it was a 630)

Anyway, did you do the steps I posted previously and, if so, what was the outcome?

My goodness, I can't believe I left that out. It's a GO 930. I'll edit the OP, too.

I didn't want to try your steps until I verified...you said does it have a folder named XXX? If so, do this.

Well I don't have a folder named XXX so I didn't continue before asking.

Ok, it seems to have both NA and Western Europe maps, as it should.

My gut feeling is that the unit was removed from Home prior to all information being written to the flash drive and that is why the X is showing, meaning TT can't find the application.

The steps I showed should reinstall the application in the unit.

Make the Explorer backup first, though........the prime concern is to protect the maps.

Yep, that did the trick! Thanks!

The one addendum to your instructions being that I did not have to enter an email/pass combo, it gave me the option to create a new account or skip using account credentials. I chose to do it without any of the account hooha and it worked fine.

Thanks!

Glad it worked out for you..............thanks for the feedback.

Yes, for an application only, no log in info is needed. If it had been a map update, then you would have needed to provide the data.

Tell your friend NEVER to disconnect the unit from the computer without using the Hardware Disconnect icon or from Home without using the Device Disconnect icon.

I think I formatted my RIDER, and now the red circle and white "x" blinks when it's on. I have a backup in my computer, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem when I copy to the device. Any help?

The TomTom home software recognizes the device, but it presents an error. I can command the program to restore a previous backup I did in the home, but even so the device keeps showing the red circle of death… lol (but not so much… )

was the backup you made using Home (NOT the preferred method) or via a manual backup?

Ask a Question