Windows 7 BSOD - TomTom Home 2.7

Running Windows 7 ultimate x64 - with TomTom Home 2.7

When attaching my TT940 it cause Windows to bluescreen, regardless if TT Home is open or not first
If the TT940 is attached before booting the computer, all is fine, device attaches and updates.

Anybody else seen this, anybody else know how to fix it?

I must ask the question and your answer will answer your question...

Where did you get your Windows 7? :D

I don't think TomTom support 7 yet since 7 isn't released yet.

Just tried it on Win 7 RC 32-bit. It works fine on it.

Works for me as well with the 32-Bit version. When I get back home I ca check the 64-Bit version on my son's machine.

It actually is released software. Microsoft decided to offer Windows 7 on multiple dates depending on the target audience. The GA, or "general availability" date is October for retail and most new PC purchases, but MSDN users and Open License users were given Windows 7 ahead GA date. There is no difference between the version released now and the GA date.

2.7 runs perfectly on my Windows 7 Ultimate RC 64-bit (not beta) laptop, yet it runs like total crap on my Vista Ultimate 64-bit (recently reinstalled windows last week) PC

Having the same problem with my TomTom XL. As soon as I plug it in I get a BSOD system_service_exception. If I have it plugged in before windows starts it's fine. Using Windows 7 ultimate x64 RTM. Tried it on x86 version and don't have any problems. Wonder if it's related to x64 versions. nemysys are you getting the same BSOD system_service_exception?

Most likely it is the USB drivers for your computer. There are a lot less 64-bit drivers out of there and some of them are fairly new and have bugs. As with any new OS there will be some driver updates needed to make it stable on all hardware. That being said, I have been very pleased with how well Windows 7 finds and includes most drivers. Much better than either XP or Vista was when they first came out.

64-bit shouldn't be much of an issue anymore. MS required 64-bit drivers for WHQL certification starting with Vista. My XL 340S connected to my 64-bit win 7 rc and rtm systems just fine.

I also have this problem

I have this problem on my latest PC with Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and the latest TomTom HOME. I also experienced it on a different (Dell) PC with Windows Vista 32-bit Ultimate. I have many other USB devices of all different types and they all work flawlessly in Windows 7. it is only the TomTom that gives this problem. I really do not think this is a Windows problem but rather some bug in the TomTom HOME Service or some flaw in the USB support as implemented in the device.

I reported this to TomTom support previosuly (Vista) and they were as helpfukl as ever. I will try one more time and see if I can get anywhere (but I am not hopeful).

My problem seemed to be relating to an incompatibility with TomTom and Acronis True Image 2010. Since uninstalling Acronis I have had no more BSOD.

Aha! Acronis 2010, me too, but I did not think they would be related!

WOW, I've been scratching my head for hours trying to get this thing to connect. I also have Acronis 2010 installed! I never would have made the connection.
I also have Windows 7 and get the same BSOD when connecting my GO 930. It is so bad that BIOS forgets the order of HD to boot from and I have to go back to BIOS to let it know to select the Vertex Turbo SSD. What a pain.

Motherboard is an ECS 570 Slit-A with 4 Gigs of DDR2 and an E6400 Core 2 duo.

Anybody else find a workaround that does not include uninstalling Acronis 2010...or is Acronis even the common denominator here?

Anybody else find a workaround that does not include uninstalling Acronis 2010...or is Acronis even the common denominator here?

Try updating your Acronis to the latest build. I believe the issue is fixed with build 6053.

Edit: Confirmed. The latest build fixed the problem for me.

Last edited:
Tomtom Go720

Like many others I too get BSOD when I connect my GO720 to a 32bit win7 machine. I am in discussion with Tomtom (by email) they say that they have raised this issue with Microsoft. they have suggested several things to try but none sucessful. I have to connect before boot up.

Try updating your Acronis to the latest build. I believe the issue is fixed with build 6053.

Edit: Confirmed. The latest build fixed the problem for me.

Thanks heaps for your post. I was having the same issue and wouldn't have made the connection without seeing your comments.

Ask a Question