Windows 7 and TomTom Home ?

- et -

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540, GO Live 1535, GO 620
Are there any confirmed problems associated with using TomTom Home under Windows 7-32?

I have seen a number of posts on various TomTom forums that report problems possibly associated with Windows 7, but all of the ones I have read are from people using the 64-bit version of Windows 7. In addition, none of these reports seem to *definitely* make a connection between Windows 7 and the problems with Home.

The reason I am asking is that we currently have an XXL 540M and I have installed TomTom Home on my desktop computer that runs Windows XP. We just bought an XXL 540T and I want to make absolutely certain that the TomTom map server does not get confused about which unit is requesting updates. Accordingly, in addition to using a different e-mail address for each GPS, I plan to install Home on my netbook, which runs the 32-bit version of Windows 7. This would guarantee that there is no chance that the ID information for the 540T becomes mixed up with the ID info for the 540M.

I am aware that this is almost certainly excessive caution, verging on paranoia. :)

However, my experience has been that Murphy was an optimist - which is why I am asking in advance about the possibility of compatibility issues between Home and Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I agree that W7 users of the 64 bit variety tend to report issues, not the 32 bit users. There are no guarantees in life as you know but give it a shot.

And yes, you can run more than 1 unit from the same Home application (I have five different units here) but keeping the log-ins separate is a, uh, challenge sometimes. :p

I currently have Home running on my netbook using the 32-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate.

As far as I can tell, there have been no problems. As a newbie to Home, I may be missing something, but there have certainly been no obvious problems.

Thanks for the responses.

How to install TomTom Home on Windows 7 64 bit

Here is the "work around" to upload the TomTom HOME software on the Windows based 64 bit operating systems.

It is VERY IMPORTANT a person do the steps in the EXACT sequence shown here, otherwise the program will not work properly.

1st = Make sure all TomTom applications / programs have been removed from the computer and that you Restart the computer after the programs have been removed.

2nd = After the computer restarts, turn off ALL programs and applications.

3rd = Download / SAVE (Do NOT RUN) the appropriate TomTom Home Application to your desktop.

4th = Right click on the TomTom Home Application on your desktop and select "Run As Administrator." This will launch the program and start the install process.

5th = When the box displays where your program will be saved on your computer, change the url address to:
c:\progra~2\tomtomhome

(Make sure you spell the URL exactly as it appears here)

Then continue the application / installation process as you normally would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows 7 64-bit & MyTomTom / time to update Via 120

SamMaverick below put me on the right path. MyTomTom failed to work on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium until I ran it Administrator mode. Thanks to SamMaverick.

Now I have the updates to my Via120 downloaded (2 hours on broadband), how long does it take to update the Via 120 ? My TomTom says it is busy & do not disconnect - it has been like this for hours.

Any advice welcome.

Did you get a progress bar and percentage?

A lot of us have been seeing the install completing, but MyTT sitting there after it's finished, refusing to admit it.

If you give up and disconnect, it gets all upset and says "transfer interrupted! Please reconnect".

If it looks like the update has actually happened and everything is working OK, then leave it for a day or so then reconnect to MyTT and see if it clears things.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits and have no problem with the TomTom Home. I had reinstall my windows couple times and reinstall TomTom Home with no problem. One side notice, I did disabled UAC(never notify) and is using an administrator account.

Ask a Question