Window mount suction cup

TomTom Model(s)
ONE
I have a TomTom one le. It comes with the suction cup window mount. It does not want to stay attached to the window. I have tried to call TomTom directly only to get a busy signal. Does anyone know if they will replace the window mount???

Thanks
Michael

They might replace the mount, but try the following:

1) Clean the window with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
2) Allow the alcohol to dry thoroughly
3) Make sure you the suction cup on the mount is completely clean
4) Take a very small amount of water (or saliva) and rub it on the suction cup
5) push the suction cup onto the window

This method has worked for me through Fahrenheit temps of -20 to 90 degrees

Thanks

I have tried all of your suggestions, but it still does not stay. I wish I could mount it to the dash instead of using the suction cup. With my Hyundai there isn't much of a choice to mount it. Have you ever tried to call TomTom??

They might replace the mount, but try the following:

1) Clean the window with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
2) Allow the alcohol to dry thoroughly
3) Make sure you the suction cup on the mount is completely clean
4) Take a very small amount of water (or saliva) and rub it on the suction cup
5) push the suction cup onto the window

This method has worked for me through Fahrenheit temps of -20 to 90 degrees

I have tried all of your suggestions, but it still does not stay. I wish I could mount it to the dash instead of using the suction cup. With my Hyundai there isn't much of a choice to mount it. Have you ever tried to call TomTom??

What portion of the window are you trying to use.

My MINI Cooper window is bowed too much at the edge to allow adhesion, I've got to put it smack dab in the middle of the window for it to work.

I've used the phone to call TomTom support at least 10 times and have had to wait on occasion, but always got through. (they replaced my Rider 1 with the newer version and sent me some accessories that were not included with the shipment).

Didn't your TomTom Unit come with a little circular piece of plastic with a self-sticky on the back? This little circle plate is to be mounted to your dashboard with the self adhesive backing and then you will have a flat surface for the TomTom mount to suction onto.

pad_back_less.jpg

I recently bought one of these and couldn't be happier.

31G%2Bu0y5KoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They're still on sale for 50% off ($10 USD) and work very well because it has a lever to make good suction. I mount mine upside down from the picture so it sticks out a bit further into the car. With it being a bit longer than the original mount, I can mount my TT just the the right of my rear view mirror. Since the end of the mount swivels, I can aim it to the driver. Mounting up high does two things...

1. The roof of my car provides shade for the dispay.

2. It's high enough that you can't see the mount from outside of the car because of the window tinting up high on the windshield.

Here's a link:

TomTom Windshield Pedestal Mount with Swivel-head Tightening Nut:
http://www.semsons.com/miwipewiswti1.html

<<< edit >>>

Amazon is now selling them (thru TheFactoryDepot) for $9.19 now.

http://www.amazon.com/WIND-DASH-MT-...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231092748&sr=1-6

Last edited:
I recently bought one of these and couldn't be happier.

semsons-inc_2025_13332778

They're still on sale for 50% off ($10 USD) and work very well because it has a lever to make good suction. I mount mine upside down from the picture so it sticks out a bit further into the car. With it being a bit longer than the original mount, I can mount my TT just the the right of my rear view mirror. Since the end of the mount swivels, I can aim it to the driver. Mounting up high does two things...

1. The roof of my car provides shade for the dispay.

2. It's high enough that you can't see the mount from outside of the car because of the window tinting up high on the windshield.

Here's a link:

TomTom Windshield Pedestal Mount with Swivel-head Tightening Nut:
http://www.semsons.com/miwipewiswti1.html

Just bought one of these mounts off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Arkon-TT115...ryZ58049QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's made by Arkon and known as model TT115.

VERY good mount and I highly recommend this mount !

Once you get one of these mounts....you'll just toss your TomTom mount in the trash :D

Didn't your TomTom Unit come with a little circular piece of plastic with a self-sticky on the back? This little circle plate is to be mounted to your dashboard with the self adhesive backing and then you will have a flat surface for the TomTom mount to suction onto.
Unfortunately it also advertises to unsavory characters that there may be a GPS hidden in the car.

Why can't they make it stick?

The windshield mount they sell you with your Tomtom simply doesn't work! If they can design a GPS device, why can't they design a way to make it stick to your windshield without constantly swabbing and sucking on the suction cup? I'm getting high from the Isopropyl alchohol. I have a suction cup shelf in my shower that NEVER falls off. Maybe Tomtom should talk to the shower shelf people.

Make sure windshield is clean. Do use a bit of spit on the suction cup area. Apply thumb and finger of both hands with some ooomph around the stem of the holder. (You're trying to squeeze the air out of the cup) Apply the suction cup before attaching the tomtom unit.

If all else fails you might try looking here for an alternative:
www.mountguys.com

The windshield mount they sell you with your Tomtom simply doesn't work!
[ ... ]
I have a suction cup shelf in my shower that NEVER falls off. Maybe Tomtom should talk to the shower shelf people.
Slightly different design criteria.
The suction cup in your shower is supposed to never come off.
The one for your TomTom 3 - 4 times a day.

Please, don't encourage Arno....... you know how 'those' Canadians are, eh?
Actually, when posted, it was as a matter of fact, not leaving the mount
on the wind screen when leaving the motor several times a day.

Hate to admit it but I do like Birdman's sarky interpretation of my post.

pad_back_less.jpg

I just got my tomtom today. Does that sticky stuff on that plate come off easy? I'd like to mount mine to the dash, but I'm afraid that sticky stuff would be hard to clean off should I decide to remove it.

I, too, have mine on the dash. I hear that a hair dryer facilitates easy removal. Hope it's true. :eek:

Rick,
Is the windshield pedestal mount a suction cup? Can it move from car to car? Will it stick better than my original suction cup, which has stopped sticking?

Ask a Question