Will NOT Hold charge

TomTom Model(s)
510 software 6.52
Hi guys,

My Tom Tom will not hold a charge. I can place it on the base and it will show as charging, then a minute later i get the low battery icon. Also, it will not charge at all using the mobile charger. Any ideas? Oh, and of course i tried the reset. and yes green light is on indicating it's getting power.

It's a 520....I think it's dead because now it won't even turn on after charging for two days...lol. Time for a new one...decisions decisions!

I have just fixed the same problem on my 910 by spraying "Switch Cleaning Lubricant" onto the contacts on the base of the 910 itself. This was only after buying and fitting a new replacement battery to no avail.

Definitely make sure its actually charging, usually this can be done through the menus to see satellites and the battery life indicator. It will show if its charging or not...Electronic cleaner or even rubbing alcohol on a q-tip can work on the terminals. Making sure the charger is unplugged and the device battery is drained before cleaning should be a priority...

How old is the device. Despite what Garmin and Tomtom tell you Lithium Ion while being a good technology has its limitations, and the main limitation is its overall life span in combination with how fast it goes from what seems to be a good battery to something that barely holds a charge for a few minutes...

Its a standard lithium ion battery inside. It can be replaced relatively inexpensively. However getting too it can be tricky and I'd suggest reading up on battery replacement before attempting. Also for future reference keeping a lithium ion battery fully charged all the time will keep it lasting longer unlike older batteries that would develop a "memory" and benefit from being drained completely from time to time...

Yeah, I can see through the menu that's it's charging, then a few minutes later it will stop charging and display the bat low blinking signal on bottom right.

My 720 is doing the same thing. Last night I plugged it in using my phone charger which has the same connector, so I'll see. For reference where can I find replacement battery info and directions.

Ask a Question