Will a 60x speed SD card be adequate?

I bought a TomTom One from Amazon and it should be arriving on Monday.

After reading the sticky about 'using a 2GB card to take advantage of the NA maps', I went out to Microcenter and bought a 2GB Corsair SD card that is rated for 60x. It was priced for 32 dollars but has a $20 mail-in coupon so I figured it was a good deal.

However after reading some more on this forum, I am unsure if I should have purchased a 130x 2GB card instead.

Will I notice any appreciable difference in the response time of the One if using a 60x card?

Thanks,

KP

Hi KP,

I have a 60x card and a 130x card. To be honest, I don't see much difference, if any. The speed pertains to the write speeds, as I believe both have the same read speeds. I could be wrong on this, but I think the real difference would be noticed when WRITING to the card. I don't use any apps that write, so it doesn't affect me. When calculating a route, it simply reads the card. That being said, I use the 130x card exclusively, and keep the 60x card as a backup in case I ever need it.

I have a 2GB RocketFish 166x. Dirt cheap, and works fine.
You pay up to the nose for brand name like Lexar, Panasonic ...

I have had this VERY cheap Kingstone card about three weeks,so I could put Western Europe,and the USA on the same card (plus loads of voices , Poi's etc).Works superb,totally no performance difference from the 1gb card that came with my TT One v2 - when you think about it , TT are going to use the cheapest cards they can get away with..

Grab ya self a bargain...

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-2GB-...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1173571707&sr=8-1

I bought a TomTom One from Amazon and it should be arriving on Monday.
dp/B000EOMXM0
After reading the sticky about 'using a 2GB card to take advantage of the NA maps', I went out to Microcenter and bought a 2GB Corsair SD card that is rated for 60x. It was priced for 32 dollars but has a $20 mail-in coupon so I figured it was a good deal.

However after reading some more on this forum, I am unsure if I should have purchased a 130x 2GB card instead.

Will I notice any appreciable difference in the response time of the One if using a 60x card?

Thanks,

KP

Again, you won't see a performance increase unless you use the screenshot function that actually WRITES to the card. For basic GPS functionality, it's READING the card, and you won't notice any differences at all.

Again, you won't see a performance increase unless you use the screenshot function that actually WRITES to the card. For basic GPS functionality, it's READING the card, and you won't notice any differences at all.

Interesting. I was looking at some high end SD cards but now I can save my money because I really don't need it.

I have the original TT1 SD card and use the screenshot function and I see no slowness, I tap the top left corner and the camera sounds comes immediately after.

>> But have you noticed a difference in how the device reads/writes to the SD card?

Hi Digital-flex.
Until the next map update, there is no way I will hook my TomTom to the puter again. I love my 510, but there are 2 things I hate: it's TomTom Home and TomTom Support.:eek:

I use a card reader, update the card directly with drag & drop.

166x is not slow ! Clearing the whole card & reload is a pain, but it's the same for the original (1G) card.

Search for 'Any POI Category' is slow, but I don't think it's due to the card, but because I loaded tons of POI in the new one ! Something I could not do previously due to the 1G limit.

Last edited:

Ask a Question