Why is Security Code on 3rd Edition so Bogus?

I had my 3rd Edition One stolen from my car a week ago. Two days later L.A. Sheriff made an arrest and recovered my TomTom. I had the security code set on my TomTom just in case of this event. However, before the Sheriff ever got a chance to get the code from me they simply reset the unit with the button on the bottom side of the unit which basically unlocked the unit.

While it helped me in that the Sheriff saw my address in the unit and thus confirmed that it's mine, I can't help but wonder what's the point of a security code if it is that simple to reset? I just can't believe it would be this simple.

it doesn't work like that

The button on the bottom does NOT reset that security code. So if they were able to bypass the code, that's not how they did it. That reset button basically restarts your tomtom and the operating system much like pressing the reset button on your computer does. It doesn't get rid of the passcode.

Ask a Question