Why doesn't the RDS-TMC reciver work on my 1435?

TomTom Model(s)
Via 1435 TM
I have 1435 TM that's about 8 months old. I have limited use for the Maps function, but purchased it for the Traffic Updates. It was working fine until my last software upgrade (a couple of weeks back), but now the RDS-TMC receiver (or the unit) doesn't work. When the receiver is plugged into my charger and the unit, the messages "RDS-TMC Receiver Connected" and "RDS-TMC Receiver Disconnected" cycle incessantly. There's also a "battery charging" message, even though the unit is charged. It does NOT give ANY traffic reports, and the traffic sidebar does not appear. Nor is there any rotating circle in the traffic sidebar area, indicating that it's searching for a signal. If I unplug the unit, the GPS functions work fine.
Any ideas? I haven't tried to contact TomTom support. I can't find an email address for them on their US website, and I don't have the time to spend forever on the phone.
Many thanks.

Have you tried to reset the unit by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds?

Also, the recycling of the antenna message is troubling.... it's as if either the connection to the unit or to the cig outlet is not solid.

Have you tried to reset the unit by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds?

Also, the recycling of the antenna message is troubling.... it's as if either the connection to the unit or to the cig outlet is not solid.
Yes, I've tried the "reboot" technique several times. Sometimes the receiver will work for a few minutes, but other times the "searching" circle rotates in the sidebar and never gets anywhere--i.e., I don't get traffic. The connection to the power/cig outlet glows green, and both outlets will charge my cell phone. the connection to the unit is a "tight squeeze" but as I said, it WAS working until recently. Do I need to replace the receiver? At less than one year old. is it still under warranty?

Yes, I've tried the "reboot" technique several times. Sometimes the receiver will work for a few minutes, but other times the "searching" circle rotates in the sidebar and never gets anywhere--i.e., I don't get traffic. The connection to the power/cig outlet glows green, and both outlets will charge my cell phone. the connection to the unit is a "tight squeeze" but as I said, it WAS working until recently. Do I need to replace the receiver? At less than one year old. is it still under warranty?
Like dhn, those "recycling" antenna messages bother me. I wonder if there is an issue with the connection to the GPS, possibly caused by an unnoticed yank on the cable or other impact that might have affected the cable or the receptacle in the GPS.

If your 1435 screen is similar to my 1535 screen, when it is operating on battery power there is a small green battery icon in the lower left corner of the screen. When the GPS is receiving power from the cable, that icon should disappear. Try starting the unit with the cable unplugged and confirm that the battery icon appears on the GPS screen.

Then plug the cable into your car lighter adapter and confirm that the icon goes away and remains away until you unplug the cable, after which it should reappear. It's not enough to have power at the CLA end of the cable - it needs to be delivered into the GPS, which you can only confirm on the GPS itself.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question