Why does 630 add time?

Why does the 630 add to arrival time, even when I am driving over the speed limit? It should deduct from it. I've tested it several times.

Why does the 630 add to arrival time, even when I am driving over the speed limit? It should deduct from it. I've tested it several times.
IQRoutes is quite the surprise that way. I remember by 720 before it was available, and arrival times were always pretty pessimistic (with no incidents). IQRoutes takes into account ACTUAL speeds on major roads sliced and diced by time of day and day of the week. When I drive from up north of Denver down into town, even at 10 over, it's rare that I buy any time back on the ETA at all. Sonofagun knows we're all out there ignoring those little signs on the side of the road, and rather than using the actual limit embedded in the map data, seems to use true prevailing rates. So what you experience doesn't surprise me at all.

IQRoutes is quite the surprise that way. I remember by 720 before it was available, and arrival times were always pretty pessimistic (with no incidents). IQRoutes takes into account ACTUAL speeds on major roads sliced and diced by time of day and day of the week. When I drive from up north of Denver down into town, even at 10 over, it's rare that I buy any time back on the ETA at all. Sonofagun knows we're all out there ignoring those little signs on the side of the road, and rather than using the actual limit embedded in the map data, seems to use true prevailing rates. So what you experience doesn't surprise me at all.
So, if I understand it, they use info from actual trips to calculate their estimates?

That is correct. And the more historical data gathered for a given highway/road, etc. by travellers, the more precise will be IQ routing and,hence, the more accurate the ETA.

For example, if the mapped speed for a given highway was 50 mph but (silly as it might be) EVERYBODY drove that stretch at 100 mph, the IQ ETA for a given 50 mile distance of the highwaywould show as 30 minutes, not 60.

Ask a Question