Why can only the computer voice speak street names?

I understand that the voice synthesis needed for TTS is only possible with a computer voice, and obviously the custom voices won't record all the street names. But why can't we have the custom voice say "Turn left in" and then the computer voice says the street name, giving the best of both worlds. Seems like a pretty simple thing to do in software.

My computer voice will say for most streets something like "turn right in 200 meters" and, at the street (or close :) ) say 'turn right, Yonge Street'.

I've wanted this as well.

dhn, what he menas is that he/we would like the TomTom to use a recorded voice to say the first half of the instruction, and the the computer voice ONLY say the street name. In other words, using a combination of both voices. UK Kate sounds like she's yelling at me, and I love UK Jane's recorded voice. I wish I could use a combination of both.

I wish they had Jane as a computer voice. I like the UK accent, but I don't like Kate since she's yelling at me :(

Last edited:
There *is* a way to get both kinds of voices if you have the setting for announce pois, I think. I hope one of our members from the UK, mikealder, sees this thread because that's where I first saw the reference (Brit forum).

Wow!! How did that happen?? Congratulations............:D

Sage, you ARE going to be the death of me........

I'm going to have to respectively ask you to remove it.

GREAT joke, though..........

Wow!! How did that happen?? Congratulations............:D

Sage, you ARE going to be the death of me........

I'm going to have to respectively ask you to remove it.

GREAT joke, though..........

OMG!!!! How disrespectful!!!!

J/K :) Got the kitty back. Okie... time to get back on topic.

Ask a Question