Why are most POIs missing on the 510? Is NAVIGON better?

TomTom Model(s)
I used to have a GO300, and it came with more POIs I could have imagined already preloaded. I traded up to a 510 and to my astonishment, most POIs are missing! I have installed the extra commercial POIs from the TomTom website, but most are still missing (Ikea, Home Depot, Bed Bad & Beyond, etc, etc...) The GO300 even listed what I would consider 'obscure' POIs, such as the Danish Seaman's Church in Brooklyn, which is also missing from the 510.
I'm about ready to give up on TomTom altogether because I consider the availability of POIs on a navigator every bit as important as the ability to route my trips. One of the strongest features of my GO300 was that I could, in mid-trip, look for a POI I didn't even know existed and then set it as my destination -per instance, I was once in the middle of nowhere, driving to a ski resort, when I thought of looking for a place to buy bait, for ice-fishing; I found a place a few miles away and I got going... On another ocasion, I was going home from the beach when I suddenly thought of going to Ikea to pick up some pillows. The GO300 found the Ikea in Long Island (NY) and took me there without a fuzz. Now I have to enter most destinations as addresses ahead of time and hope that I won't have to change my plans mid-trip.
Any thoughts?
Christmas is coming and I might just just switch to a different brand altogether (has anyone tried the Navigon?)

You could always copy the 'poi.dat' file over from your 300 to the new 510.
This should work.

(But make a copy of the 510's 'poi.dat' file first, just in case you want to go back.)

You could always copy the 'poi.dat' file over from your 300 to the new 510.
This should work.

(But make a copy of the 510's 'poi.dat' file first, just in case you want to go back.)
Yeah, I'd love to try that, but I no longer have the 300. DOes anyone out there have the 300 with all the POIs and could email me that file?
Thanks much.

Can i do the same for Go510 from One 3rd G

Hello All,

Can i copy the same file from My new Go 3rd Generation maps version 710 to my older Go 510 map version 665 ?

Thank you
Philippe

Ask a Question