White X issue-please help

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One V3
I have already looked through various threads here but can’t seem to find anything similar to my issue:
When I turn my Tom Tom One V3 on it pauses on the start up screen.
If I disconnect the USB lead all I get is the dreaded white X in the bottom right hand corner.I have downloaded the latest TT Home software but it will not recognise my unit. It never gets as far as the ‘Do you want to connect to PC’ stage. Tried a reset several times to no avail and cannot perform any backups in view of this..
Tried both front & back USB ports-no difference
I don’t use the unit very often despite purchasing a long while ago but can anyone what the issue is and how I can resolve it please.
Many thanks for any help
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi & thanks for the fast reply.

I will try this and report back if there are ongoing problems.

I'm confused dhn... didn't Peter say "It never gets as far as the ‘Do you want to connect to PC’ stage."

I'm confused dhn... didn't Peter say "It never gets as far as the ‘Do you want to connect to PC’ stage."

Quite right Andy.
PC will see it as drive (E:) but TT Home wont.
I dont get as far as the 'do you want to connect..' message.

@Andy...
This sounds familiar. You might be assuming that the question has to be asked in order to connect.

It appears that the device is connecting to the computer without asking the OP if he wants to connect or not. I HAVE seen units do that, often after they have been shut down for a week or more, or shut down in some abnormal state. They are then successfully recognized as external storage devices, and subsequent connections cause the unit to go back to asking the connect/don't connect question.

So for the moment, assume he's connected as he says he is, and let's work from there.

Let's go back to dhn's recommendation for backup in Post #2 and start again.

Thanks guys
Problem already.
When I try to double click on the drive representing my unit(in my case E:) to copy its contents it just asks me if I want to format the disk?

Do I need to do that?

Thanks for the ongoing help
pete

Ooops. So Windows is recognizing the device, but you are unable to view any files or folders?

Critical question: do you have ANY prior backup of your unit that includes the map folder? It could have been done using Home, or using Windows. Or have you ever purchased a map update for this unit?

K
Ooops. So Windows is recognizing the device, but you are unable to view any files or folders?

Critical question: do you have ANY prior backup of your unit that includes the map folder? It could have been done using Home, or using Windows. Or have you ever purcmhased a map update for this unit?

Hi
Correct-windows recognises my device but it will not allow me to open the drive to copy the files over.only option I have is to format it,which i suspect windows will not allow me to complete
There are no prior back ups of my unit.
I have never purchased any map updates as I have always just used TT home for any updates

It's bad news isn't it:eek

Quite possibly, yes. With no backup of your map, there is no way to rebuild your unit from scratch without incurring significant cost.

Before we get that desperate, try to locate another USB cable and also try on a different PC with the same cable. I have had situations like yours - though mine was being caused by a flaky USB port.

Let's see whether or not Windows even recognizes your device as a TomTom.

Unzip the attached program into the folder of your choice - no need to 'install' anything - and run it with your unit connected and powered up. Let's find out what your PC thinks of your TomTom. Once you can get this running with your TomTom plugged in, let me know and we'll look at what it is telling us.

Attachments

• usbdeview.zip
    69.6 KB · Views: 271
Thank you for your ongoing help.
I'll report back once once I've carried out your suggestion

Peter

Ok with my limited PC knowledge..

ONE (v7) TomTom ONE (v7) Mass Storage No No No No E: Y33327F02570 24/06/2009 19:21:14 14/06/2012 15:47:02 1390 0001 0.01 08 06 50 7&6437932&0 USBSTOR USB Mass Storage Driver USBSTOR.SYS USB Compatible USB storage device USB Mass Storage Device 5.1.2600.0 USB\Vid_1390&Pid_0001\Y33327F02570

Does this tell you anything!

Pete

OK - this indicates that your TomTom has previously been recognized AS a TomTom by your PC. It was able to communicate over the USB, and is even picking up your unit serial number correctly.

However, you are no doubt seeing that there is a "No" under "Connected". What is more interesting is the "Last Plug/Unplug Date" of June 14, 2012, 3:47pm. That shows that it was very recently recognized even though it's not connected now. It IS plugged in while you run that program, right?

OK - this indicates that your TomTom has previously been recognized AS a TomTom by your PC. It was able to communicate over the USB, and is even picking up your unit serial number correctly.

However, you are no doubt seeing that there is a "No" under "Connected". What is more interesting is the "Last Plug/Unplug Date" of June 14, 2012, 3:47pm. That shows that it was very recently recognized even though it's not connected now. It IS plugged in while you run that program, right?

Yes that is correct it was plugged in when I ran the progam.

What happens when you plug and unplug the unit repeatedly while watching that program. Does the line item for the TomTom keep appearing and disappearing, but at the same time, do you keep seeing "Connected" = "No"?

Just to check the obvious in case ... do you have any other mass storage / external drive type devices like thumb drives, etc., that you could plug into the same USB port to check the port? If you are using a front mounted port, can you also try plugging your TomTom into a rear port instead?

What happens when you plug and unplug the unit repeatedly while watching that program. Does the line item for the TomTom keep appearing and disappearing, but at the same time, do you keep seeing "Connected" = "No"?

Just to check the obvious in case ... do you have any other mass storage / external drive type devices like thumb drives, etc., that you could plug into the same USB port to check the port? If you are using a front mounted port, can you also try plugging your TomTom into a rear port instead?

OK. last go at this.
Firstly,when I plug/unplug my TT repeadly USBDEVIEW program does exactly likewise picking up when its installed and when it isn't.
TT Home still does not recognise device regardless.
Fornt and back USB prts that are all factory built in to my PC behave the same-not recognising my device.

Other mass storage devices like my SD card etc recogise fine and work perfect.

Any definitive solutions before I invest in a Garmin?

Thanks for the ongoing help
Peter

Give me a few to review the entire thread and we'll see if there's any additional steps that might get you sorted. Sometimes I get lost when there are gaps in the conversation, and lots of other conversations in the interim!

If the device is consistently recognized by Windows and USBDeview, but USBDeview keeps showing it as Connected = NO, and Windows shows the device as having no content (or more accurately, shows nothing and keeps asking you to format it), and if a hard reset by holding the power button for about 20 seconds (until you hear the drums) then releasing immediately doesn't resolve the problem, I don't know what else to suggest. In reading backwards through the thread, it doesn't seem that the reset procedure was ever performed, so please do so. It has certainly been found to resolve connection problems.

Whether any individual 5 year old Garmin will treat you any better in 2017, I wouldn't venture to say. You've got a unit that is old enough now that at best has 1GB of memory (possibly only 512M if it was the UK/ROI vs. Europe model), and is a right pain to load European segments on and off now that the European map has become so large ... quite possibly time for an upgrade, regardless of brand.

Ask a Question