Which West Europen maps 2buy ??

Planning a trip this summer to Germany, Austria, Italy. Found on TT Home two options for maps:
1. Germany, Austria, Switherland - 49.95 EUR
Italy - 49.95 EUR
2. West European map - 79.95 EUR.

Which option to buy ?? Will option 1 (almost 100 EUR) offer more details as apposed to option 2 (79.95 EUR) ?? If so how much more details ??

Planning a trip this summer to Germany, Austria, Italy. Found on TT Home two options for maps:
Italy - 49.95 EUR

Which option to buy ?? Will option 1 (almost 100 EUR) offer more details as apposed to option 2 (79.95 EUR) ?? If so how much more details ??

Andrew, go to this site: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=93

It is a British tomtom forum and they will have users who can give you the best information. Make sure you let them know what kind of unit you have in your post.

The amount of details for those two maps are the same, cosidering both are the same version. The only difference is that Westerm Europe has more coverage in terms of countries covered.

Same thing for my country TomTom sells both Western and Central Europe map (one large from atlantic to parts of the Russia on east) and splits the map and sells two separate packages called Western Europe and Eastern Europe. Both map data are exactly the same, people on my local forum were cross checking those maps and found no differences.

Italy - 49.95 EUR

All european maps wheter bought individually or as a whole have exactly the same amount of detail. TT makes the West EU map price cheaper as a marketing strategy only. Many buy only a map where they commonly travel (ie. D,A,CH+FL map) and are forced to buy another map (ie. I map), at the end costing them more.

Man,
I bought my western europe map for 49.90 euros in december.
They raised the price

Again, another TT's money making strategy. They offered the discount to lure people in upgrading to the "supposed" latest version where in fact they were soon to release a new map version. I doubt that TT will entitle anyone to a free upgrade to 7.15 maps if previous version was bought within the 30 days grace period. Being a former Garmin owner, I consider Garmin's map upgrade system and policy way much better than TT.

All european maps wheter bought individually or as a whole have exactly the same amount of detail. TT makes the West EU map price cheaper as a marketing strategy only. Many buy only a map where they commonly travel (ie. D,A,CH+FL map) and are forced to buy another map (ie. I map), at the end costing them more.

Same level of detail for option 1 and 2 (see my original post), really ??
I forgot to add in my original post that for the option 1 the TT Home includes a number of 99% and no percentage number is included for option 2 !!

Can these percentages be interpreted as detail levels ??

It is the same level of details. All 7.15 maps are based on TeleAtlas 2007.10 map release and all 7.10 maps are based on 2007.7 release. The sets TomTom sells are just smallers parts of the same mapdata. As someone here said, it's just marketing.

The TomTom description of map details just suck. The map provider TeleAtlas uses actually much more numbers.

First they state total streen network coverage, which for example for Italy is 100%.

Next they state fully attributed roads which practically coresponds to house number range, which for italy is 95,80 %

Next they state basic attributed roads which usually means roads without streen number information (you can select street but not home number in your TomTom) which for italy is 4,2% for 2007.10 release.

TeleAtlas also tells you in their datashets wether maps have RDS/TMC support, amount of postal code coverage, signpost, lane information and tourist road options.

Anyway I've checked the countries you are interested in in the TeleAtlas 2007.10 datasheet and all the countries you are interested in (Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland) have 100% road network coverage with 95%
or more address coverage.

Wether you choose to uy whole Europe or just the smaler package is up to you. You will receive the same data.

It is the same level of details. All 7.15 maps are based on TeleAtlas 2007.10 map release and all 7.10 maps are based on 2007.7 release. The sets TomTom sells are just smallers parts of the same mapdata. As someone here said, it's just marketing.
Wether you choose to uy whole Europe or just the smaler package is up to you. You will receive the same data.

I'm wondering what makes you think that the maps offerings from the TT Home in my original post are at least 7.10 versions. The Megabyte numbers are: for entire W.Europe: 944 and for set including Germany, Austria and Switherland: 394.

The size of 7.15 version for entire Europe is almost 2 GB, isn't it ??

I'm wondering what makes you think that the maps offerings from the TT Home in my original post are at least 7.10 versions.
The size of 7.15 version for entire Europe is almost 2 GB, isn't it ??

So instead of making me guess tell me what map versions you are offered to buy and I'll dig my old TeleAtlas datasheets and try to find numbers for you coresponding for that specific map version.

The current sizes for maps are:

1882,4MB - for 7.15 Western and Central Europe

1667,5MB - for 7.15 Western Europe

390 MB - 7.15 Germany+Austria+Switzerland

Nonononnono!

I hope I am not too late! If you are allowed to, get the full 2gb Western and Central Europe map. Normally, that is the best bargain and ensures the MOST detail of all maps. Now that TT restricts maps to certain units, this may no longer be possible.

Western Europe is inferior to WCE. Regional maps are also better than Western Europe (1GB map). You have to note the size of the map. Get the biggest one for the equivalent money.

So instead of making me guess tell me what map versions you are offered to buy and I'll dig my old TeleAtlas datasheets and try to find numbers for you coresponding for that specific map version.

The current sizes for maps are:

1882,4MB - for 7.15 Western and Central Europe

1667,5MB - for 7.15 Western Europe

390 MB - 7.15 Germany+Austria+Switzerland

I found 2 ways to buy WE maps on-line:

1. From TT Home
map size: 944.5 MB
version: NOT LISTED
2. From UK TT web site
map size: 944MB
VERSION: 6.75

I don't know how can one purchase this newest 1882,4MB, v7.15 map of Western and Central Europe ??

Nonononnono!

I hope I am not too late! If you are allowed to, get the full 2gb Western and Central Europe map. Normally, that is the best bargain and ensures the MOST detail of all maps. Now that TT restricts maps to certain units, this may no longer be possible.

Western Europe is inferior to WCE. Regional maps are also better than Western Europe (1GB map). You have to note the size of the map. Get the biggest one for the equivalent money.

Would you know if this 2GB European map is compatible with my unit which is:
- iPAQ rx5910 (in Europe known probably as rx5945)
- runs TT NAVIGATOR 6

The 7.XX maps are only compactible with 7.xx application, so with TT6 you can only use 6.XX maps.

Not sure when are you going to travel Europe, but TT said it's going release TT7 for PDA around 1Q 2008, so perhaps you could wait a while to see what's going on... if time is not an issue at the moment.

The 7.XX maps are only compactible with 7.xx application, so with TT6 you can only use 6.XX maps.

Not sure when are you going to travel Europe, but TT said it's going release TT7 for PDA around 1Q 2008, so perhaps you could wait a while to see what's going on... if time is not an issue at the moment.

Thanx for info. My european trip starts at the end of Jun'08 so hopefully by then I'll be able up upgade my Navigator to get that 7.15 maps.

Thanx for info. My european trip starts at the end of Jun'08 so hopefully by then I'll be able up upgade my Navigator to get that 7.15 maps.

So get new your maps and probably the new Navigator just before your trip. Apart from Navigator upgrade we might have even two new map releases by then... considering they will be release every 3 months as it used to be with 7.10 and 7.15.

Ask a Question