Which Version of the TomTom One to buy?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One v4
Hello All,

At the beginning of August I helped my parents pick out a new GPS device. In my research I found that the Tom Tom One offered the best bang for the buck. And, after buying it I, and my parents, have been really delighted. Now, it is coming close to time for me to travel across the country and return home. I was going to borrow theirs, but they love it so much they decided they don't want to give it up.

As I mentioned, I love the One. It does a great job of giving directions. And, now that I upgraded their device to the latest version of the on machine application I like it even more.

But, I read that their is a new version of the TomTom out that includes MapShare technology out of the box. But, this version has a smaller hard drive, and no room for smart cards. Which is a pretty big liability. Is this mapshare business worth giving that up for? Or am I better off looking for one of these awesome deals on the version of the TomTom One my parents have?

I will be using it to drive across the country. Not so much to know where to go exactly. But, more to save my butt when I take wrong turns to see the scenery. I drove east this summer and often went down roads to see neat scenery, and after enjoying myself just turned around and came back, when I am pretty sure I could have been better served with a device that let me enjoy the scenery and find new routes without stopping the car and searching for a map, or jogging my memory to remember what google maps said.

Anyway. To sum it up. What does everyone think? Grab a deal? Get a new version of the One? Go with something else entirely?

Thanks!

patrick

I had to ask TomTom Support which version I had. This may help:
Serial starts with E - Original - Requires SD Card
Serial starts with Z - 2nd Edition - Optional SD Card (when inserted replaces internal 1GB memory)
Serial starts with Y - 3rd Edition - No SD Card slot or bluetooth.

I'm not sure what other differences there are between the versions. Turned out I had a 2nd edition.
A 2GB SD Card formatted to FAT32 worked in the slot.
(Got the software onto the SD card by running a backup / restore while connected to the computer).

Any other information on differences between versions?

I'd get the TomTom One v3. For some reason its cheaper than the v2. I may get the v3 anyway if I can find out if it will pair with the iPhone.

I believe no one yet has paired it for Plus usage.
FYI: The ONE does not connect to the phone for handsfree.

radio shack is running a special on the tomtom one units untill 10/13. in the add it shows the v2, but when the guy pulled one out for me it was the v3. check around the different radio shacks in your area and you can probably find the v2 or v3 for $199. i had just purchased a v3 at wally world for $249 but am taking it back and going to radio shack if wally world doesn't want to price match it. thinking about getting the v2 anyway.

if you go that route, the guys at radio shack probably do not know the difference between the two. so the way you check is that the v3 will be in the impossible to get it out of the plastic see through packaging and the v2 will be in a box.

correction: actually, the one in the box at radio shack is the new edition v4.

Last edited:

Ask a Question