Which TomTom should I get?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum as intertested in a new sat nav. I have had garmin nuvi 660 europe for the past 5 years and charging cable/bracket is now but and not prepared to pay ?50 for a new one.I have therefore decided to buy a new one and thinking of Tom Tom. Should I switch from Garmin to Tom Tom ? was thinking of 1000 Live unit but read some issues with live updates. Anyone able to offer any help in deciding ? Thanks :)

Welcome to TTF.

Two of our supermods (MikeAlder and Andy_P) are UK based and might pop into this thread to assist. Check back.

The Go 1000 Live is a very capable device.
Most of our issues with it (and ALL the Go 1000/2000/Via models) was the lack of connectivity to your computer and so an inability to add POIs, colour schemes etc. or to back it up or to buy new maps.

MOST of these have finally been overcome (after FAR too long). You are still not able to back-up your device in the old way, but TT assure us that everything is re-downloadable from them (including your personal map - but I've yet to see this personally)

On the plus side, the unit is pretty slim and looks very good. The screen is extremely bright compared to the old models, although it is much more reflective, which can cause some minor annoyance.

The audio quality is excellent, far better than previous "thin" TomTom models.

The mount is very good although a bit inelegant to my mind as the plug sticks out the bottom quite a lot.

Routing is very fast, especially on long journeys where it is FAR faster than older TomToms.

Minus points:
Like all new TT models, itinerary planning is still missing, although you can use upto 4 waypoints on a standard route now.

There is no Bluetooth remote control or output of audio. BT is only for pairing your mobile phone.

POIs, Map colour schemes, recorded voices, car cursors etc. are all added to the device using the new 'MyTomTom' software for PC and Mac, but there is no "on-line library of these any more, so you can only add stuff you already have, or can get from elsewhere.

Just to keep this short, I had 3 Garmins and 2 TomTom's. The latest is the Via 1535TM with lifetime maps and traffic. It is the best GPS I ever had. I am 68 and use it at least 2 - 3 times a week. I use the bean bag dash mount for easy removal and no tell tail mark on the windshield. Also drive to CA from PA once a year. It is just the best and the Bluetooth works perfectly..

Glad to hear.

You HAVE input the activation code for your unit's lifetime maps in the MyTomTom link on the web page, right? It is necessary to do so since the models inherently do not have the 'M' functionality enabled out of the box.

(Lifetime traffic (the 'T') needs nothing activated)

Ask a Question