Which TomTom model for USA holiday?

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and would like to say hello to everyone. The forum is great, lots of info. Hopefully someone out there can help with a few questions I am trying to answer for myself.

I am from Ireland and have previously used a TomTom 700 for RV trips around Europe, which I was very satisfied with. I do not own a TomTom at the moment. I am planning a trip in the USA which will cover most of the country, including many of the larger cities - I offered to be driver for the first US tour of a new Irish Band (guggenheimgrotto.com). My brother is one of the members and in an effort to keep costs low we plan to rent an RV and live out of that for the month. I'm in the final planning stages and hoped to be able to borrow a TomTom from a friend and load the US maps but that fell through at the last moment.

So I plan to buy a TomTom in the US when I arrive and I am trying to work out which model best suits my needs.

1. Which TomTom model should I buy?
I know this is a bit like the 'how long is a piece of string' question. Given my past positive experience with a TomTom 700 I am leaning towards that model again - any comments?

The most important factor is that I must be able to use it both in the US and Europe. I am not looking for anything other than a sat. nav. Mp3 player etc is not so interesting. Also, POI is something I have not used before and although it sounds great, I don't mind if I do not have the functionality. I just want a good sat. nav. with support for postcode to postcode navigation.

I took a look at the 710 and the only difference I could see between it and the 700 was the SD card vs a hard drive. Anyone have any comments on the pros/cons of each storage mechanism?

2. If I buy the TomTom in the US then it will come preinstalled with the US maps. Are these all I will need for a trip across the country, including many cities? Or should I download the city maps for each of the cities I will be visiting?

3. Can I use the TomTom straight out of the box, or do I need to go through some activation process? If so, do I need access to an internet connection for instance?

thanks all for any help you can give me.

regards
David

Hello David and welcome!

If you are planning to purchase a gps unit in the States, you are looking at the following models: GO 300, GO 700, GO ONE, GO 510 & GO 910. You mention that you wanted maps of both Europe and the US. The 910 is the only model that has both maps preinstalled. The US maps are included in the other models and you don't have to purchase/download city maps of the US.
You can use the tomtom straight out of the box. In some cases, you have to wait outside until your unit picks up, for the first time, satelites.

To help make your decision, I will give you links and comparisions between the GO models.

Go to this link and read about the GO 910. Near the end, it shows a specification comparison chart with the 700, 510, 710 & 910. The 710 is only sold in Europe.

Here are other information links as well that will give you information on the specific GO model:

I would also check prices on the models your interested on US websites and Europe. I believe the GOs are less expensive in Europe.

Hi Pedro,
thanks for the reply and the links. I have been going through them today and now I am leaning towards the new TomTom One. I could buy either the TomTom One Europe Edition on this side of the Atlantic and add the US maps or buy the TomTom One in the US and add the Europe maps. Pricewise there is very little in it - a few euros only.

The ONE has a minimum of functionality which is what I am looking for - the extras are tempting but I know I will not use them so why pay more.

thanks again for the info.
david

I'm glad to hear you're leaning towards the new ONE. If you purchase the European edition, you would have to purchase the US maps and store them in a new SD card.

Hi Pedro,
thanks for the reply and the links. I have been going through them today and now I am leaning towards the new TomTom One. I could buy either the TomTom One Europe Edition on this side of the Atlantic and add the US maps or buy the TomTom One in the US and add the Europe maps. Pricewise there is very little in it - a few euros only.

The ONE has a minimum of functionality which is what I am looking for - the extras are tempting but I know I will not use them so why pay more.

thanks again for the info.
david
When and if you get the 910 , to show the US Maps if you bring one from the other side of the water, you must go to MANAGE MAPS and manualy change the map you are using. I had this problem in Italy, and did not get it corrected for 10 days. Afte that life was good again. It is found in preferences.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how I get on when I return from the trip. By the way Greg (I guess) I lived in Italy for a few years and it's a lovely country. I imagine you had a good holiday.

ciao
David

Ask a Question