Which setting is best to avoid sidestreets?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One Third Edition
My TomTom One Third Edition tries to send me down every damned sidestreet and back alley
there is!

Which setting (Fastest or Shortest) will avoid sidestreets?

Here in Spokane I know which street is best, but in some strange, gawdoffal city like Seattle,
I worry that TT 1 3rd will have me going thru slum streets at night getting me killed!

DoctorBill

My TomTom One Third Edition tries to send me down every damned sidestreet and back alley
there is!

Which setting (Fastest or Shortest) will avoid sidestreets?

Here in Spokane I know which street is best, but in some strange, gawdoffal city like Seattle,
I worry that TT 1 3rd will have me going thru slum streets at night getting me killed!

DoctorBill

No GPS unit will ever be better than local knowledge, of course. And it's hard to tell whether Fastest or Shortest will avoid the side streets. There is an implication that Fastest will more likely take major roads (and highways) even if its route is longer. I'd be inclined to select that option to try to avoid the side streets.

Further, once a route is planned for you, it may be worthwhile to select 'choose alternate' and see the difference in route planning.

This info may give you an idea which method works better in the long run.

DoctorBill

Do you have Advanced Menu opened. I think that is where the TT has the option "Avoid Slum Streets". I tried it but unfortunately it wouldn't let me drive on my street anymore. Well, at least now I'm safe even though I can't get home.

dennis

Do you have Advanced Menu opened. I think that is where the TT has the option "Avoid Slum Streets". I tried it but unfortunately it wouldn't let me drive on my street anymore. Well, at least now I'm safe even though I can't get home.

dennis
ROFL!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

If you are driving between cities, always select fastest.
If you are driving within the same city, shortest is a good method but not the best as this is known to take u through side streets.

If TomTom could add a few more features.....

Jog Left!

Jog Right!

To avoid pot holes!

Or - slow down, there is an Idiot ahead......

Or - ahead 800 yards is a policeman lurking behind the bushes!

DoctorBill

dennis

It's funny you say this...

Right now, NAV system technology is rapidly approaching "user interactivity" ability. Particularly with bluetooth.

We will see a day when functionality just like what you mentioned- in addition to warnings about speed traps and other real-time specific data (like we have with traffic now)- will be sent right to your NAV system via interacting user based communities that will both transmit and receive live updates. When you drive by, say, a speed trap, you will get a warning. When you spot a speed trap, you can send warnings to other users of the same NAVsys. I will bet all takers $1 that there will be a "bad neighborhood" NAV cue- based on some sort of user rating scale- before we know it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question