Which model do I buy.

Thats interesting as I have used the resident map (as bought) to find that some local trunk roads about 2+ years old are not yet shown and I was intending to use these as a 'test' so to speak.
Watch this space!

If you are offered BOTH a firmware update (application), which is very likely, AND a map update, take the firmware first, then come back for the map on a 2nd pass.

also i found:
turn off firewall and malware detector
set firefox default browser
run mytomtom
dont have any browser window open
then connect tomtom via usb
wait for tomtom to detect conenction and open browser window itself

any other way and i found the connecting but not actually connecting problem

New maps now installed with little difficulty although it did take a couple of hours or so albeit with my 8mbits/sec download speed. I used Firefox browser but didn't bother isolating the firewall or anti-virus. I did however have several attempts at logging onto 'Getstarted' and getting it to recognise my device and password. I also have a old Tomtom One still in use and I guess it was mixing up the two.
A couple of hours later I did a connection check and I had to use IE browser as Firefox kept refusing to connect. I read that this is a known issue and that toggling between browsers seems to be commonplace. As long as I know, I can put up with this sort of thing whilst TomTom sort it out.
All in all it wasn't a too bad experience but I guess I'd prepared myself for trouble and didn't get what I expected. Lucky me!
The new local road I mentioned was on the new map and it was opened 3 years ago, not 2+ as I said earlier. There is another road which opened 20 December 2011 but I have yet to check it out.

good to hear the road was on the map, they must be improving. yes i had to make a new account so tomtom wouldnt confuse my old device also.

...several attempts at logging onto 'Getstarted' and getting it to recognise my device and password. I also have a old Tomtom One still in use and I guess it was mixing up the two. "
Whatever you do, do NOT try to operate the new unit on the email account to which your old unit was registered! Really confuses the heck out of TomTom.

Oh dear! I've already done that but I haven't connected my One as yet. How easy (or difficult) is it to change the log-on for one of them?
When I first logged on with the Start 25 it took ages to connect as it appeared to be looking for the same account. However it eventually accepted the device and it's worked OK since, which suggest what you say.
Does the "old" TomTom Home still exist (which opened on connecting the One to my PC) or has this new webpage been adopted for all devices, old and new?
Needless to say, I won't be using the One until I get this sorted out.
What do you suggest please?

Home 2 is still used for all devices that use Navcore 9.X or less.....

MyTomTom (the web based interface) is required for all devices using Navcore 10.X or higher.

I guess the Start 25 is the 10X or higher then, and my One?...........will be 9X or less? (about 5/6 years old)

You would do well to call TomTom tech support with your two serial numbers in hand and your email address, and have them separate the two units to different email addresses. Purchasing services and maps is keyed to a unit's specific email account and serial number combination.

There's a good review of the Start 20/25 on the PGPSW forum site. They like it.

TomTom Start 20 series - too good for first-time buyers

Andy - that was a review. I'd rather hear what users have found - good or bad. As was originally said, many people have had problems updating. Is that still the case or have the problems been resolved?

I need a new sat-nav, and I will only buy TomTom but I need to know that it will work "As it says on the tin!" I don't want to experience problems. My current ONE edition 3 has been faultless. I don't want to buy trouble.

You would do well to call TomTom tech support with your two serial numbers in hand and your email address, and have them separate the two units to different email addresses. Purchasing services and maps is keyed to a unit's specific email account and serial number combination.

Thank and you're correct. TomTom tech told me to create a separate account which I've now done.

[/QUOTE] I need a new sat-nav, and I will only buy TomTom but I need to know that it will work "As it says on the tin!" I don't want to experience problems. My current ONE edition 3 has been faultless. I don't want to buy trouble.

I've just bought a Start 25EU having had a One and I can tell you the software is very similar on both so very easy to operate. The 25 is 'basic' with few frills and it suits me fine. I had no trouble downloading new maps although it will take an hour or so even with a decent BB connection. I suggest you read all the reviews (Amazon and alike) and note the problems and solutions of others users (some of user origin)
The PC interface (MY TomTom) is somewhat confusing at first and so different to TomTom Home. You must create a different email sign up as I had problems with that. (See above Posts)
Get back to me if you think I can help further.

Get back to me if you think I can help further.
================================

Thanks, currently on 3 months holiday in West Australia so it will wait 'till we return home.

I'm using my ONE 3rd edition here. It works well but OZ is way behind with post codes. Each town has a post code. Here in Mandurah it is 6210 but that code covers the whole town of over 55,000 inhabitants!

Last year we went down south. Put the road in for a motel and the road was 30 miles long with no property numbers! Luckily we knew where the motel was.

Ask a Question