Which map update did you put on your ONE?

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 335S
Hi all,

I received my map DVD today. My question is, has anyone successfully installed the "North America" map onto their ONE? There's also a "USA/Canada" map on the DVD which I suspect goes on the ONE. The NA map is 1.4gb while the USA/Canada map is less than 1gb. I'm wondering if there are any licensing issues that would prohibit the ONE from accepting the NA map if I had a 2gb SD card.

The real reason I want to do this is I think the NA map has better/more POI. For instance, I just updated the maps on my TT910 and there is still a category "shops" on there. The ONE does not have this category.

Any ideas?

I would think after you plug in your device code to activate you would be all set. We are all getting DVDs in the mail simply because of bandwith issues. It's all the same stuff ont he DVDs. We active with our devices. So whatever map you install you would have to activate/pay for.

Too bad TomTom doesn't have a bunch of mirror sites for us to download from.... even if it were small pieces of the entire thing and then when you have it all downloaded you could piece it together and install.

Anyone else gettign TIRED of waiting?

Well I ordered one 3 days after fanchee so I'll probably get it next week (assuming they don't deliver on weekends).

Good question. If it's worth it, I'd rather have the larger map with more POIs. I mean, it can't hurt can it?

I am going to try this tomorrow. I was just hoping someone else had already done it to either confirm or deny that it will work. I will post back and let everyone know how it goes. I too would rather have the larger map with more POIs!

Thanks!

I'm still waiting for mine. It seems to take longer for Canadian orders. I've seen others order and get it within a week!

I placed my order on Dec 26 for the 910 and Dec 27 for the ONE. I got them both today in the mail. So slowly but surely they are trickling in! Here's hoping you get yours sooner rather than later!

I placed my order on Dec 26 for the 910 and Dec 27 for the ONE. I got them both today in the mail. So slowly but surely they are trickling in! Here's hoping you get yours sooner rather than later!
I ordered mine on the 29th. So yeah, hopefully by Fri or Mon the latest!

Got mine in the mail today.

I ordered on the 24th of December and just got it today the 13th of January.
I was also wondering about the two maps. Unfortunately I don't have the space to install the larger map.

Incidentally the DVD had over 7GB of total data as reported in the finder. I'm wondering if it was reading the compressed items expanded size.

Hi all,

I received my map DVD today. My question is, has anyone successfully installed the "North America" map onto their ONE? There's also a "USA/Canada" map on the DVD which I suspect goes on the ONE. The NA map is 1.4gb while the USA/Canada map is less than 1gb. I'm wondering if there are any licensing issues that would prohibit the ONE from accepting the NA map if I had a 2gb SD card.

The real reason I want to do this is I think the NA map has better/more POI. For instance, I just updated the maps on my TT910 and there is still a category "shops" on there. The ONE does not have this category.

Any ideas?

I oredered the DVD on 12/20, and received it in the mail on 1/11/07. I never received the second confirmation email for shipping. I bought a 2GB card and installed the North America map on my One without any problem.

PS for TT - REALLY! I have got to know the steps you took to achieve this!

I was up half the night the other night trying to put the NA maps on my ONE. It seemed to allow the installation ok, but once I turned the ONE on and it asked me to choose a map, I chose NA and my ONE froze up on me. Needed a reset, and then it would freeze up on the main splash screen.

How did you do this? Does it have anything to do with the SD card purchased? I bought a 2g sandisk card, nothing special.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

PS for TT - REALLY! I have got to know the steps you took to achieve this!

I was up half the night the other night trying to put the NA maps on my ONE. It seemed to allow the installation ok, but once I turned the ONE on and it asked me to choose a map, I chose NA and my ONE froze up on me. Needed a reset, and then it would freeze up on the main splash screen.

How did you do this? Does it have anything to do with the SD card purchased? I bought a 2g sandisk card, nothing special.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

I put the empty 2GB card in the One (which was previously used in TomTom One, but all the files had been deleted), the DVD in the drive, open TomTom Home, connect the One to the PC, and turn on the One. Click Install to TomTom, click TomTom CD at the top, select TomTom Application, select North America, and select the voices that I want, and click Install at the top. It will ask for the product code of the map. You will need to provide the product code. That is it. Hope it works for you.

Last edited:
The copy over your POIs and MapSettings.cfg files.... tomtom.mnu too if you had a custom menu. And anything in your sdkregistry folder...

...oh yeah. Try this on a PC too, that might help. you MAC'r hehe Color changed to dark as it's not important and just a joke.

I don't have any favorites in the ONE yet, so I'm not worried about that. I do have alot of custom POI files, but have those saved on my computer. I will have to put my custom menu back on there, good call on that. I wonder if this is saved during a HOME backup? I'll probably end up saving that manually just to be sure.

A backup is a backup (on the HOME software) Meaning you can't choose WHAT to back up. iIt does a full backup, so yeah...it's in there.

I can confirm that the backup process works - and everything is there.

I tried updating last night (got my new maps). It wouldn't let me update, saying there wasn't enough space. Fair enough. So I deleted the original USA and Canada maps, then started to install.

Here's the interesting part. On the Mac (at least, on my Mac) I had the TT1 showing on the desktop, with a Finder window open displaying the contents. Turns out that closing that window causes the TT1 to unmount. Obviously, this is bad when you're in the process of transferring new maps.

I was left with 224MB of the map installed, yet no indication in TT Home that the map was partially there, outside of having 224MB less available space. After reconnecting, I deleted the contents of the USA_and_Canada folder and began the transfer again, leaving everything alone. It seemed to work fine, but I wasn't comfortable with it.

So, I decided to do a restore. Nope, not enough space TT Home says. Deleted the USA_and_Canada folder again, began the restore from backup. Everything was back to normal. Then deleted the app, installed the new, deleted the map, installed the new, and I'm off and running. More available space too.

Incidentally, I noticed that the new map is, in at least one way, *LESS* complete than the old one. I live about 5 minutes from a lake, and it appeared on the old map, but not on the new one. My street and neighboring streets (been there for at least 4 years) still aren't named. I've submitted the correction on TeleAtlas' site, but obviously it was too late to make it to this rev of the map.

Color me unimpressed with the new maps so far. Hey - maybe that's why the new map is smaller in size - my lake isn't there. ;)

Last edited:
hey dalcarls, one thing I've noticed on the ONE vs. the 910 with the newer maps (and maybe the older ones, I didn't check) is that the 910 shows many more water masses than the ONE. I suspect this is another way to save space on the ONE's 1g card.

Yeah, possibly.

What's also weird is that directions seem different with the new maps. For example, on the old map (and the way I'd normally go), I turn right out of my street, go up two blocks, and make another right onto the main road to go somewhere. This new map has me turn right, go 1 block, then go LEFT, then right, up the remaining block, and right onto the main road. I'm going one block extra, the opposite direction of where I want to go! Dumb.

Difference between NA and USA/CA maps

I recived an email from TomTom on the question I asked on the difference between the two maps in the latest DVD. Here is the answer: The map of Puerto Rico is included with the North American map. Also, the North American map contains more POI's and POI categories.

Sweet.

Is there any issues if we installed that on the ONE instead? esp. since they're labelled differently.

Sweet.

Is there any issues if we installed that on the ONE instead? esp. since they're labelled differently.

If I understand your question correctly. You will need to delete the USA and Canada map from your One first before you install the North America map on it.

Ask a Question