Which gps chipset does the ONE LE use?

Does anyone know what gps chipset the ONE LE uses? Hammerhead or SiRFStar III?

Just about every other manufacturer lists the specs of thier gps chipset except for TomTom. Why all the secrecy?

It's never been a secret which chip set is installed...

Does anyone know what gps chipset the ONE LE uses? Hammerhead or SiRFStar III?

Just about every other manufacturer lists the specs of thier gps chipset except for TomTom. Why all the secrecy?

The logo at the bottom of the TomTom identifies the chip set technology provider. Look next to the "CE" mark on this picture of a TT1 v2 that has the SiRF chip set.

SiRF_Logo146.jpg

TTONE_IMG11.jpg

If you don't see that little logo, you've got the Hammerhead chip.

FWIW, opening up the LE to look doesn't help - all the high frequency stuff is under metal shielding cans.

That said, it does look like there's an opportunity to put in a larger mAH Lipo pack in there (it's marked as a 1100mAH lipo likely a 2 cell (7.4V)

The logo at the bottom of the TomTom identifies the chip set technology provider. Look next to the "CE" mark on this picture of a TT1 v2 that has the SiRF chip set.

SiRF_Logo146.jpg

TTONE_IMG11.jpg

If you don't see that little logo, you've got the Hammerhead chip.
False info!
Even you do not see the logo, it still would be SiRF chip set.
I opened my V4 and LE, all are using SiRF chip set

I also opened my LE but all the chips are covered by shielding boxes. How could you tell what chips underneath? Do you mind post some internal photos?

I did not open the touch screen side though, but usually that side won't have chips and even so they'll be sheltered as well, I guess. But I'm going to open that side tomorrow anyway (too late now).

I also opened my LE but all the chips are covered by shielding boxes. How could you tell what chips underneath? Do you mind post some internal photos?

I did not open the touch screen side though, but usually that side won't have chips and even so they'll be sheltered as well, I guess. But I'm going to open that side tomorrow anyway (too late now).

Ditto, please corroborate with photos as we have conflicting answers.

I just searched the FCC ID database and found their ID issued back in Jan of 2007. Looking at internal photos now which look like mine. You can see the lipo cell in there, the speaker, etc. You can sell all the shielding cans.

WOW! On the last page are pictures with the cans removed! (to a point)

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=744195&native_or_pdf=pdf

You can see it's a Hammerhead IC. Wonder why the 3rd edition has better satellite acquisition (maybe a different antenna?)

I see no FCC ID on the 3rd edition, just a statement that it meets FCC part 15 rules.

Last edited:
Nice findings. I no longer need to open my LE again.

I can see the FCC ID S4LONE-ED does have the SiRF chip, you can see the logo even though the photo quality is horrible.

You can also see: in the SiRF block, there are another chip and more components, cost must be higher than Hammerhead.

I went to RadioShack and Staples, checked all the Tomtom units over there, I don't see any SiRF logo on them.

Tomtom seems now use Hammerhead chip in all its new units to lower the cost. Sucks.

I also wonder why that 3rd unit I had was so good. Unfortunately I no longer have it with me.

I also wonder why that 3rd unit I had was so good. Unfortunately I no longer have it with me.

I still have a 3rd unit here unopened. I'll open it later in the week and compare it with my LE. I am starting to see what you are seeing with the LE, long satellite acquisition times. I see bars but it won't say they are valid signals for a while.

Ooops, and just now when I went to power it up, it' won't! Had to press the reset button.

Why did you get rid of your 3rd ed unit?

My guess was correct: Tomtom has changed from SiRFIII to Hammerhead to lower cost from $15 down to $2 for these chips. Only the hi-end Tomtom still uses SiRFIII, all One use hammerhead. See this article:

http://www.indoorlbs.com/id233.html

According to this article, SiRFIII is the one revolutioned indoor gps. Although Hammerhead claimed to be even better, the author was not convinced.

There is a new Hammerhead2, I guess the new 3rd uses it. Or the 3rd I bought from Fry's did have SiRFIII; Fry's often carry very old units.

When was the One 3rd Edition released?

Last edited:
I still have a 3rd unit here unopened. I'll open it later in the week and compare it with my LE. I am starting to see what you are seeing with the LE, long satellite acquisition times. I see bars but it won't say they are valid signals for a while.

Ooops, and just now when I went to power it up, it' won't! Had to press the reset button.

Why did you get rid of your 3rd ed unit?

Before you open the box of your 3rd, you can see its bottom for that logo. Did you buy it from Fry's on BF? I bought mine there. Fry's is well known to carry old and refurbished stuff.

That's the problem with LE, you have to carry a paper clip with you, you simply don't know when it'll fail on you.

I did not realize that I got a very special 3rd unit. I thought I could always get another 3rd as they are everywhere, but I might never be able to find an LE again as it is limited supply. So I kept my LE for now, mainly for its auto shut-off feature. I thought I would sell easily my LE anytime if it will keep failing again and get another 3rd.

What a mistake!

According to this article, it is the hammerhead that needs the help of the quickgpsfix. Tomtom's public relations manager claims both chip are equally good (lie) and both will be used (seems true).

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BPW/is_2_18/ai_n18646883

So, I'll go to some stores and look for a 3rd with a SiRF logo on it.

Yes, I bought mine at Fry's, a BF deal.

I seriously doubt you got an old unit with the SIRF chip.
The 3rd edition hasn't been out that long and you saw the FCC ID report that showed TT already using the Hammerhead IC a year ago.

My TT 3rd editon from Fry's came in a plastic case - very hard to open (like my LE). If it was a return, I'm sure you would have recognized it.

I'm guessing the board layout and possibly the removal of the external GPS antenna jack is the reason the 3rd edition works better.

This guy did a brief comparison:

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/06/tomtom_one_xl_review.php?page=2

Another more comprehensive article on V2 (SiRF) vs. V3 (GL hammerhead). If gps is not used for 4+ hours, there'll be a difference. SiRF uses its own CPU (so we see two chips in the SiRF block and cost is much higher). I'm confused, the V3 is actually better than V2 according to this author. V2 suffers from losses just like we have seen from LE. There seem to be some improvements in V3 design which has nothing to do with chipset (this might explain why my V3 was better than LE, even if they use the same GL chip).

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=216&page=1

I'm guessing the board layout and possibly the removal of the external GPS antenna jack is the reason the 3rd edition works better.

Yes, this is my latest guess too, based on above article, nothing to do with chipset.

Last edited:

Ask a Question