Which folder to backup to external drive?

TomTom Model(s)
Start55
I know where TT creates and stores it's backup to ( C:\Users\cork\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup ) but is that the only folder I need to copy and paste to an external drive for a complete backup of the backup?

Once I've done that, is it safe to delete the backup from my computer?

Thank you

Please don't rely on HOME to make your backups, it's notoriously unreliable.

If you use Windows Explorer (or the Mac equivalent) as we recommend , you simply copy and paste the entire TomTom memory contents into a new folder on your computer. Give the folder a sensible name and you can then put it anywhere you like - onto a backup drive, recordable DVD, on-line cloud, whatever.

See here for full instructions:
How to BACKUP the contents of your unit to the computer (and how to RESTORE it!)

I saw that topic in my searches on looking how to do this, which I know is easy as pie, but it seems as if TT has way more issues doing almost ANYTHING comapred to how my old Garmin worked (flawlessly)

Kind of stupid, isn't it, to include a backup in the TTHome program that is known to be totally unreliable? They must like support calls!

So, what you're saying is that if I have a working map on my TT currently, just copy the ENTIRE contents off the TT device and paste it onto an external drive?

Thank you

Yes, basically that's correct
But it makes sense to copy everything into a new FOLDER on the external drive, so you don't end up with the loose system files lying about on the external drive that can go missing or get mixed up with other things.
You can make as many backups as you like and even partial ones, just give each folder a name like
"2012_09_24 Full Start55 backup" or
"2021_09_24 Start55 North America v895 map only"

Having at least two backups can be a god-send at times.
e.g. backup as soon as you've done a major update, then make another backup just BEFORE you do the next one. That way if there's any problem with the device you can re-load the newest backup, but if there's any problem with the new software, you can really easily revert back to the previous one.

Backups made with HOME don't let you do that....

The whole process should be made clear in those instructions I inked to. If anything isn't clear, can you let us know so we can improve it?

I got ya!!

That actually should make it even easier to do a backup. No unnecessary software in the way to mess stuff up!! :)

Thank you

Ask a Question