Which 2011-2012 model is most compatible with user-defined routes?

TomTom Model(s)
none yet
I posted here rather than "which tomtom should I buy" b/c there are 85 people on this forum vs 4 on that one! I currently have a garmin, which I am about to throw out the window at high speed. I need a gps that allows me EASILY to either program or download my own custom routes -- ideally from google maps, definitely not from Mapquest. I've been pointed towards the XL/XXL devices by TomTom, but I see those are already 2 years old. I'd like a newer model. Advice? Thanks!

Yes, do NOT go for a newer model. Itinerary Planning functionality has been severly reduced. Only 4 waypoints at best, you can't save routes or send itineraries to the unit from elsewhere.

Look on Amazon for a 540 XXL model.

Yes, do NOT go for a newer model. Itinerary Planning functionality has been severly reduced. Only 4 waypoints at best, you can't save routes or send itineraries to the unit from elsewhere.

Look on Amazon for a 540 XXL model.
I agree, with the additional suggestion that you look for the XXL540TM. That will give you lifetime Traffic and lifetime Map updates. These days the difference in price when compared to the basic XXL540 is fairly small, and the additional benefits are well worth that small difference, IMO.

FWIW, I have also seen a good price on the XXL540 models on Newegg from time to time, and my personal experience with them has been quite acceptable - as it has with Amazon. (Not true of some other on-line retailers.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -

$110 at Amazon at the present time.

Thanks to all for the advice. I purchased the xxl540TM and hope that with TomTom HOME I'll be able to plan my own routes and download them without a problem ... I found out that when you download your own custom Mapquest routes to Garmin it automatically overrides them! Hopefully that won't happen with the TomTom. The Garmin will be going up on Ebay if the TomTom works as you say. I'm sorry I had to lose money on it first.

When you receive the unit, you MUST register the lifetime map code by calling customer support at 866-486-6866. The code will be on a card in the package of materials and will be marked DO NOT DISCARD

Nice thing about the 540 is that you can create as many different itineraries of as many as 48 points as you will ever hope to have. Wish the new models allowed for that. Rats.

Thanks to all for the advice. I purchased the xxl540TM and hope that with TomTom HOME I'll be able to plan my own routes and download them without a problem ... I found out that when you download your own custom Mapquest routes to Garmin it automatically overrides them! Hopefully that won't happen with the TomTom. The Garmin will be going up on Ebay if the TomTom works as you say. I'm sorry I had to lose money on it first.
FWIW, there is a free third-party program called TYRE that will let you plan routes on your PC with great flexibility and control, and download those routes to the XXL540. I have seen a number of favorable comments on the web about TYRE and have yet to see any negative comments about it - except that it will not work with the latest models of TomTom. That issue is the fault of TomTom limitations, not TYRE.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I don't understand why TomTom is moving away from greater flexibility and usability, rather than designing newer devices up to be more user-friendly and user-programmable ... I notice a couple of "super moderators" on this thread ... anyone care to comment? How to get the company to respond to users' needs for a truly interactive device? It is really frustrating.

Comment on what? I'm not thrilled at the reduction in functionality of newer models either but I don't make design decisions for TomTom.

Beg? Plead? We know some who are pretty close to TomTom and even their complaints haven't been met with action, especially on this particular topic.

Still no idea why this happened. Granted, they had to port all of the code to a new platform, and some days it looks like they started with blank paper, but you wouldn't think that the ability to create simple lists of waypoints and send them to the unit would be big damned deal.

Forgive me, I thought moderators were affiliated or at least had some influence :)
Most days, just about as much as you do as a solo user out there in the wild.

While it's true that there are some rare situations where some of us can bring a specific problem to the attention of someone we know back in the NL for a user and get a good result, that's almost always on the Tech Support side of the business.

The guys that sit around the cafe tables in Amsterdam smoking ganja who are tasked with making the feature decisions (we assume this could be the scenario, since short term memory issues seem to be at the root of some of the more problematic results) are outside of our realm of acquaintances!

Product Planning Meeting Transcription:

Joep: So, what do you think about adding Itinerary Planning back to our recent models?
Mees: Ya, that sounds like a fine idea. Still can't believe our boys made it to the finals in the World Cup last summer. Think we'll do as well this year?
Joep: World Cup?
Mees: Yes, last summer!
Joep: Oh, right. I'm still thinking about that stinker run we had between '82 and '86.
Mees: Huh? We hadn't released the Nav3 unit yet in 1986, had we?
Joep: Nav3? I thought we were talking about World Cup play.
Mees: No, man, you were taking about Itinerary Planning.
Joep: Well, we'd better get that back in the feature list for 2012 then, or everyone will get lost in Japan looking for the Cup games.
Mees: Japan?
Joep: Yeah, that's where we play this year.
Mees: But dude, we don't even have maps for Japan.
Joep: Ooops. My bad. So what do you think of adding Itinerary Planning back into the feature set?

LMAO Canderson - I can just picture that happening. But you forgot the pause to roll another joint!! It would explain the crazy decisions made by TT about the newer products.

Del

So... I went on Amazon and purchased the xxl540TM. Installed TomTom Home (took a very long time). There is no "itinerary planner", just something called "route planner" that does not allow for any customization or adding waypoints -- you can't drag route as you can with Google Maps or Mapquest to define your own route. In addition, the promotion code doesn't work -- when I enter it, I get a message saying it's not compatible with the device. So, I have no maps. Every time I turn on the TomTom, it asks me what language I want and then immediately chooses one at random, so I have to go back and tell it I want US Engligh. It won't use the voice I selected through TomTom Home -- icon is grayed out -- although I do have the option of a Chinese voice! I am NOT happy. At least the freakin' Garmin worked out of the box.

Your "freakin' TomTom" likely worked just fine out of the box, too, and if you'd ask us how to get the job done, I'm sure one of us would be delighted to explain it to you. In fact, since I'm not quite ready for bed yet, I'll get you started.

You've brought up several different issues, so let's take them one at a time.

Item #0: FIRST, you must tell us what you did with your unit when you unboxed it. I don't think it came out of the box in the peculiar condition you describe. We know at least that it's been hooked up to the computer and you've had some interface with Home. DID you allow Home to install any updates on your unit? If so, what updates did it say it was going to install? Have you updated the Home program itself yet?

I'll take these in the order in which you presented them, although that's really backwards, I suspect. My guess is that everything you are describing in your first portions are what you are seeing on your PC, not the unit.

Item #1. You can build an itinerary point by point on your unit (OR using TomTom Home's emulator of your unit, if that feature is working correctly) using the feature button a couple of screens in that is labeled "Itinerary planning". What you did NOT mention was whether you were trying to do this with the unit or on your PC using the emulator. The 'route planner' sounds like a TomTom Home feature on your PC, which is a different tool altogether. There are also several other good ways to build itineraries for a TomTom using the web, and there are also a couple of good 3rd party applications, but until we have you out of your current ditch and understand your actual problems, that isn't going to be productive use of your time.

Item #2: If the promotion code for the lifetime map service doesn't work, call Customer Support at 866-486-6866 and they can square that away very quickly. Just have the piece of paper in hand that has the code on it when you call, along with the serial number on the bottom of your unit.

Item #3: The thing came with maps, so "I have no maps" would require an action by you that would have caused that to occur. When you turn the unit on and get past the voice issue, your unit will either show your current location on a map (once it has a GPS fix, it will even be the 'right' location) or it will tell you that it has no maps. So are you trying to say that you have no map subscription enabled yet due to the issue in #2, above, or that you really have no maps? Clarity counts on this one.

Item #4: Now we get to the meat of the thing. You say the unit asks what language you want each time it is powered on, you are forced through the language selection, correct? While the fix for this will probably be the same in any case (the unit is not remembering any of your personalization selections), it would also help to know how you got to that point. So back to #0, above. Some have encountered this AFTER updating their unit with new firmware. Did you update your unit using TomTom Home after you unboxed it?

Canderson, first of all, apologies for the rant .. it was very late, and I was very frustrated. And thank you for taking the time on this forum for your detailed replies. I do appreciate it. Here is what we did.

We have a Mac, not a PC, running OS10.6. Unboxed TomTom. Downloaded/installed TomTom Home. (Hooked unit up to USB hub; it wouldn't connect, so re-plugged it directly into the computer.) It goes through a very long install process, then asked to update/install 3 more items -- can't remember them all; one involved traffic. Installed them and got a TomTom Home screen (screen shot attached) with several folders: Purchase Maps, Add Traffic, Voices etc, Update my Device, Use TomTom route planner, Manage my Device, Backup and restore, Find accessories, Operate my Device, and Use My Activation code.

Since it's a new unit and I want to install maps, I tried "use my activation code," which brought up the message that the code is valid but doesn't apply to my device. Went to online help, entered serial number, which brought up a slightly different model than the one I'm supposed to own, and says I don't need an activation code, but can use "latest map guarantee" instead. Try that. It returns with a message that it doesn't apply to my device.

Several times tried disconnecting device and trying to run it that way, had to go through prefs and language screen each time -- and it doesn't give time to pick a language, just picks one at random each time, forcing you to go back and do it again -- go through prefs, then get "no maps found."

Tonight as I'm writing this I hooked up the the TomTom again and went to Operate my XXL on my computer (it now recognizes it as XXL and not "Device"). Got a message that it needed to download more software -- fine -- now it's asking for current location (again) but now the display on my TomTom emulator on my computer is upside-down and not usable. (screen shot attached). Last night it was fine,although I had to go through prefs more than once, so they're not being saved. And, BTW, the "Use my activation code" still isn't usable either -- "next" is grayed out.

Just disconnected it, and it's asking for preferences again ... go through the prefs, again, and get "no maps found."

I'm not a computer novice, and my husband is a 10-year plus IT pro. Like I said, I have serious issues with how the Garmin works re: user-friendly route planning, but it took 10 minutes to get the thing up and running with no problems. I'm not sure what's up with the TomTom software people, but this needs serious work. Nothing should be this difficult.

Also, I'm not trying to plan "itineraries." I'm trying to plan routes. You know, where you look at a map, decide which roads you want to take, then take them. For the life of me I don't understand why planning one's own route is near-to-impossible on every GPS. Google maps and mapquest (somewhat less successfully) both offer that feature, so it's obviously not impossible. Why don't our GPS companies?

Attachments

• TomTom_home.jpg
    TomTom_home.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 419
  • operate_my_device.png
    operate_my_device.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 434
You do NOT use Route Planner to make an Itinerary. You do use Itinerary Planning on the unit or the emulator if you can get it to work.

For the latest map guarantee, go to Home's Tools-->Use Latest Map guarantee.

Call CS at 866-486-6866 and let them activate the code at their end.

Finally, since amazon is a registered retailer of TomTom units, they will (or should) accept the item if you decide to exchange it as faulty.

We have a Mac, not a PC, running OS10.6.
Good to know, but unfortunately, that lets out one of our favorite planning tools that was written only for a Windows OS (Tyre) and would require WINE or something similar to run it. Still, there are several alternatives, and of course, you can plan an itinerary on the unit itself (more on that later).

Unboxed TomTom. Downloaded/installed TomTom Home. (Hooked unit up to USB hub; it wouldn't connect, so re-plugged it directly into the computer.)
That seems to be a common issue with hubs. Direct connection was the right move there.

It goes through a very long install process, then asked to update/install 3 more items -- can't remember them all; one involved traffic. Installed them and got a TomTom Home screen (screen shot attached) with several folders: Purchase Maps, Add Traffic, Voices etc, Update my Device, Use TomTom route planner, Manage my Device, Backup and restore, Find accessories, Operate my Device, and Use My Activation code.
So far, so good. The unit probably updated to the most recent firmware, pulled the most recent ephemeris data, and it sounds like the Home user interface is acting as one would expect.

Since it's a new unit and I want to install maps, I tried "use my activation code," which brought up the message that the code is valid but doesn't apply to my device. Went to online help, entered serial number, which brought up a slightly different model than the one I'm supposed to own, and says I don't need an activation code, but can use "latest map guarantee" instead. Try that. It returns with a message that it doesn't apply to my device.
OK - now we're down to the actual malfunctions. As of late, it seems that a call to CS is required to get the lifetime maps enabled. As we noted, have that little card and the serial number ready. Maps are issued quarterly, and the current map version is 885. What map level are you on at present?

So that we're sure you have the unit you expected, can you tell us the first two characters of your unit serial number? Just want to be sure that their server isn't confused, too.

Several times tried disconnecting device and trying to run it that way, had to go through prefs and language screen each time -- and it doesn't give time to pick a language, just picks one at random each time, forcing you to go back and do it again -- go through prefs, then get "no maps found."
That is likely a function of the firmware update, which was probably more than one rev advanced from where you received it. There have been several firmware updates lately. Current firmware will be 9.430.

Hmm.. I asked about both map version and firmware -- guess we should be sure you've spotted the mechanism for retrieving those for us. I'm going to assume that a firmware update or two took place when I ask the following, so if it makes no sense when you try to execute it, please let me know and we'll have you try another way.

Press in the center of your screen. Right arrow until you see "Status and information". Then press "Version information". The number that follows the "App" will be of interest, but we only need the first 4 digits (i.e., 9.340). The map version follows "Map", and again, only the first 3 digits are necessary (i.e., v875 or v880 or whatever).

Tonight as I'm writing this I hooked up the the TomTom again and went to Operate my XXL on my computer (it now recognizes it as XXL and not "Device"). Got a message that it needed to download more software -- fine -- now it's asking for current location (again) but now the display on my TomTom emulator on my computer is upside-down and not usable. (screen shot attached). Last night it was fine,although I had to go through prefs more than once, so they're not being saved. And, BTW, the "Use my activation code" still isn't usable either -- "next" is grayed out.
Sounds as though the Operate my XXL is working, so what we need for you to do is plan a route to anywhere using "Navigate to" and pretend you are going somewhere on that emulator. That has been known to straighten out the power up issues with preferences.

Just disconnected it, and it's asking for preferences again ... go through the prefs, again, and get "no maps found."
THAT is not a good thing, however, in your case, it's not a show stopper. Once you have called to enable your lifetime map subscription, you'll be offered another map. The question is how you got there. The updates seem to be the issue.

With your unit hooked up to your Mac, it should appear as just another external storage device. Look to see if you can see your North_America map folder on the device. We really need to know what you find there.

Also, I'm not trying to plan "itineraries." I'm trying to plan routes. You know, where you look at a map, decide which roads you want to take, then take them. For the life of me I don't understand why planning one's own route is near-to-impossible on every GPS. Google maps and mapquest (somewhat less successfully) both offer that feature, so it's obviously not impossible. Why don't our GPS companies?
Yes, this is a problem for all of the automotive nav units I've used, too. However, the way we force a particular route on a TomTom is to create a route as an itinerary. You specify the waypoints that are along your route such that it forces the unit to move from waypoint to waypoint rather than attempt to create its own routing.

Ask a Question