Whether to buy tomtom or not?

TomTom Model(s)
none
I have been seeing so much negative feedback about TomTom and their support services, coupled with the fact that I myself lf have been unable to contact them at all, that i am seriously wondering whether I want to spend £200 plus £50 for the live service on their product. Unfortunately
I did buy a Garmin thinking it might be better, but the screen was so dark i couldnt see it in sunlight, maybe it was just a faulty one? Anyway its going back to Amazon!
Oh dear, what to do , what to do.
Has anyone got something good to say about TomTom?:confused: PLEASE Before i spend £250

The fact that TomTom is the biggest provider of sat navs in Europe must tell you something (in North America, Garmins are the leader).

What do you mean you've been unable to contact them? Have you tried phoning them?

0845 161 0009 for Customer Support.

The fact that TomTom is the biggest provider of sat navs in Europe must tell you something (in North America, Garmins are the leader).

What do you mean you've been unable to contact them? Have you tried phoning them?

Yes I have tried in the past, but have been on hold for so long that either I have given up or (sometimes) the call is terminated. Though not sure if its them or BT responsible for that?

The fact that it is the most popular and the spec sounds great, but why, oh why, is their so much negative feedback about their customer support, and particuly regarding the problems people seem to have with updates?
I will try the number you just gave me,

OK I stand corrected and apologise. I rang the number you gave me and got through in just 8 minutes, which was much quicker than i expected. so thanks for that.
I got answers to my questions and will see how i get on. They have unlocked my account and i should be able to get through on the email now.
thanks again for your help

Just a note to say that I am delighted with my TomTom purchase, and have no regrets. I expect that to continue until I have problems, when I will suddenly become their mortal enemy.

You see, internet forums are like that. People who are getting on ok with their kit don't tend to bother to post about it (unless they are a geek like me). People with problems will post, and post angrily. Their problems are very real, but the nature of forums tends to self-select the bad experiences.

My previous GPS was a Garmin Quest, and when shopping for a new GPS I decided not to stick with Garmin. This was because they made a commercial decision not to support the old style GPS units like the Quest with map updates. Completely logical, and you can't really blame them, but it antagonised a lot of people, just as TomTom's forced move from Home to myTomTom has equally upset their users.

[Actually what really annoyed me was that the map software continued to tell me "your software/map is old, you should upgrade" every time I used it, even though there was nothing to upgrade to.]

Ask a Question