Where's Dave and Susan??

TomTom Model(s)
GO 510
I want to try the computerized voices, Dave and Susan, but I cannot find them anywhere. Not on my SD card, not on my CD, not on the TomTom site.

You have a ...510 right? I believe the TTS voices are exclusive to the 910.

Really? The Prefs on the 510 seem to indicate that I can use them.. there is a Speech Prefs settings, but it says I can only set them if I select a computer voice. TT support told me I need the Dave or Susan voices.

Don't quote me... I'm not the resident 510 expert... ;) I'm a ONE owner.

...but I think I have those same options on my ONE (checking now) but they simply don't work as TTS isn't an available feature on it.

Can't seem to locate the menu option (that's what I get for having the custom menu sometimes) Where are you going to in the menu for this? Hopefully a 510 user will chime in soon and contradict me....

The option is there, in the Menu on the 510, but the functionality is disabled as you are right battom, TTS is only on the 910.

Pilaar39, unfortunately TT customer/tech service is pretty much awful. You can call them three times in a 15 minute period and get 3 different answers, so I'm not suprised the tech support person didn't know that TTS only works on the 910. As a 510 user, it is EXTREMELY frustrating and disappointing seeing the feature in the menu, but having it disabled, what a tease. As it's in the menu, I'm sure TT could make it available to us 510 users if they wanted to.

If you have any questions or problems, definitely check this forum first as you will probably get better information here than through TT support.

TTF.com ROX!

If you have any questions or problems, definitely check this forum first as you will probably get better information here than through TT support.
Points for that one....

Skizza is right. TT Support may be an 800# to call, but don't waste your time. Search here. If you can't find it, ask...

TTS will tell you that a 2GB card will not work in a TT ONE. Yet almost every ONE user has a 2GB card. I called and asked about a 4GB card, they said it's not supported and won't work... I've been using my 4GB card in my ONE v2 for almost 2 weeks now... zero problems.

TTF was created for TT users to help each other over on this side of the pond. It has grown so fast and has a GREAT reputation.... There have been 2 radio commercials about TTF.com in my area, and neither was paid for by the owners of this site... why would it be? They are literally 3000 miles away from me. It's all...word of mouth that THIS IS THE PACE TO BE FOR YOUR TOMTOM!!! :D

....we're all here to help each other.

Yep, all good info. The TTS voices are only available for the 910. I for one wish they would open this up to all TT devices. It's the one thing I truly miss from the 910.

Who started that rumor? You? LOL! Would be so sweet if it's true, but I have not heard one way or the other.

Sorry. I knew that the 910 had TTS therefore I spent the extra $$ to have it.

Well, I would have too,, but since it was a gift...

Anyway, I am not too impressed with the so-called technical support from TT.. the following is an exchange of notes I had with them over the last week. Note that in my first note, I specifically state I have a 510.

My question 1:
I just got a GO 510 as a gift, and I am exploring the functions.
Where can I get the computer voices mentioned in the manual?

TT Response:
The computer voices are in your installation CD, just insert it, open Home and install the voices into your unit. You may also visit the link below:
www.navtones.com
My question 2:
I still cannot figure out the difference between a human voice and the computer voice. Your site (and my device) lists 7 generic voices.. I am currently using Mandy. (No voices are identified as computer voices.) However, if I go to the preferences, and select 'speech preferences', it says I have selected a human voice, and this cannot be used to read street names or messages. What voice(s) can I use to make use of the speech preferences?

TT Response:
Regarding your voices question, a recorded human voice has a limited amount of entries (such as warnings and distance indications) that are previously set. A computer voice, on the other hand, is programed to read and vocalize all the possible combinations that may occur when a text is entered, and that is the reason why it may read street names and messages. Basically, Susan and Dave are our standard computer voices.
My question 3:
Where do I get the Susan and Dave computer voices? They did not come on my SD card, are not on the CD, and not on your website.

TT Response:
To get Susan and Dave, please visit the link below:
www.navtones.com
My question 4:
Unfortunately, I could not find either the Dave or Susan computerized voices on navetone.com as you suggested.
I was informed by someone on the tomtomforums board, that these two voices were not compatible with the Go 510 model.. Can you please confirm this? They said the 510 did not have the Text-To-Speech option.. that this option was only available on the 910 model.. can you confirm?

TT Response:
Actually, the information provided was correct. The only voices able to read street names and such are the computer voices, but the text to speech feature is indeed only available for the GO 910. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Well, I would have too,, but since it was a gift...

Anyway, I am not too impressed with the so-called technical support from TT.. the following is an exchange of notes I had with them over the last week. Note that in my first note, I specifically state I have a 510.

I got those kinds of response's all the time, sort of like a brush off deal. I had a couple of questions about the sat images awhile back and they just give me generic answers that don't even help.

I'm also surprised at the TT support and how they handle my questions. :(

Wow, so not impressed. They should have recognized your initial note said you owned the 510. And I can promise you that you will not find Dave or Susan on navtones.com. Boo for TT support!

Common mistake... Thinking "computer voices" meant voices on the computer. But I would have to agree, if they aw "510" they should have known right away....but hten THAT might have made them think "oh he means the voices on the computer, not the Computer gerenated voices for text-to-speech"...

On the 910 the only voices that will give street names are the computer generated ones.

I think the other models lack those voices because there is no need for them.

btw, I'm a directional moron and Susan telling me the street names helps a lot.

The tomtom gets me out of the house, and you folks on the forum have been a wonderful help!

Thanks a million!!!!!!!!

Ask a Question