Where is menu option to turn off "Keep left" freeway nagging?

TomTom Model(s)
930T
I have a TomTom 930.

I found the option once in the menus, but then went through everything I could remember and couldn't find it again!

I know there was an option to disable the "Keep left" instructions.

When driving on a freeway for a long distance, every few miles or so (usually at an interchange), the TomTom will announce "Keep left", even though the road you're on hasn't changed.

It's kind of annoying because it also resets the distance readout. If I have something like 30 miles to go, on a freeway, then hopefully there's a way for me to see the distance of 30 miles, and not as many different 4-mile or 5-mile segments.

Does anybody remember where this menu item is located?

Thanks!

Krellan,

Go to where you change a voice and select speech preferences
This is the second screen of those preferences
ttgo720_screenshot_011.gif

I also don't know why TomTom has it labeled as disable as even with it check I keep getting keep to highway lane instructions :mad:

It may reduce (fingers crossed) and TomTom should change the wording to reflect that or actually make it disable.

If you try it and it works please report back.

If you try it and also still get keep to highway lane instructions then open a Tomtom support incident and complain (hopefully if enough of us do they will either change the wording or make it actually disable)

If you try it and also still get keep to highway lane instructions then open a Tomtom support incident and complain (hopefully if enough of us do they will either change the wording or make it actually disable)
I've opened a ticket for bugs (including this one) on every version of Navcore since Navcore 7.441, and I really DO get tired of being told to "Keep Left" every time there's an exit-only lane through a major city. While you'd swear that's what that button should do, it seems to have no impact on the results at all. Would surely like to hear from anyone with a solution.

Thanks for the setting. I set up my second page of the voice settings, to match the settings in the picture.

It partially worked for me.

It now can get farther than it did before, without a 'Keep left" nag. However, the nag still happens frequently, about 80% of the time.

I think I figured out why: whenever the spelling of the freeway is SLIGHTLY different, even in just capitalization or spacing, the TomTom will consider it to be a new navigation point.

I drive on the 880 freeway near Oakland, CA, and there's a variety of spellings on the route: "I 880 Nb Nimitz Freeway Nb", "I 880 NB Nimitz Freeway Nb", and other little variations like that. Notice the different capitalization on "Nb". Sloppy!

It's like ripping a stack of CD's to MP3: you get a lot of different spellings, some in caps, some in lowercase, because they were obviously all entered by different people at different times.

That's about all I can narrow it down to. I'm going to next try using the "Correct map error" feature to rename the entire freeway route something consistent, if I can find a way to do it without having to click on every single little segment in order to rename them all at once.

Additionally, as canderson stated, the "Keep Left" happens whenever there is an "Exit Only" lane. Which, if you are not familiar with the area can be nice to know. However, if you know the roads and know not to stay in that "Exit Only" lane, the prompts can get annoying.

Tim

Additionally, as canderson stated, the "Keep Left" happens whenever there is an "Exit Only" lane. Which, if you are not familiar with the area can be nice to know. However, if you know the roads and know not to stay in that "Exit Only" lane, the prompts can get annoying.

Tim
What's worse -- the unit will typically insist on using the expression "keep left, then stay in the left lane" under such circumstances. That can be a real problem when there are also left "exit-only" exits off a freeway and the correct move is to keep going straight ahead!

Frankly, I could do without about 90% of the nagging that the unit does in urban areas. Wish the check boxes did what they appear to be intended to do.

Ask a Question