Where info on current app number and map numbers?

I've just bought a 730 and found out it is a 'factory refurbished unit'. I'm not sure if this is an issue.
I can't get operate my go to work with it at all and a search here revealed similar issues.
I've noticed that the app number I have is much higher than those being quoted by others.
App: 8.413
Home: 2.7.2.598
Maps: AU and EU 830.2305
US 800.1727

Is there a list of current app and map versions ? I assume they might be different for different TT units.

Any help welcomed

Somethings not quite right here as the latest application for the 730 is 8,351 with the version you have installed to the device its not surprising that Home won't work correctly, have you made a full backup of the device as it currently is using Windows Explorer as this is the most important part before we look at changing the software to the correct version - Mike

Also, there is an issue with the maps.........

First, how do you get all the maps on Internal (or is there a sdhc card involved too?) and the map reference USA is not correct for a 730 model, it should be NA_2GB for that model.

As Mikealder says, there is something fishy here.........

Fishy is what I was afraid of.
I'm new to nav units and didn't have anything to compare it to.
The internal maps are the US (I think it is the base map), AU and NZ maps. The EU maps are on a 2gb card.
When I connected to home for the first time, I tried to use the new map guarantee but it said it had expired. The unit was sold as a refurbished as new ex-factory. I'm in Aus and I didn't question the range of maps as I've noticed that US versions of the unit often come with a more complete map set than Aus versions.

As for backing up using explorer, sorry but I'm using a mac. Tell me what to backup and I'll do it.

Thanks also for the prompt response :)

For backing up, see this link. Where it refers to Explorer, you just use Finder. Also, I don't think Mac users need to worry about 'ensure hidden files/folders are showing'

As to the maps: I know that refurbs in North America are not eligible for the LMG though some seem to get them on a case by case basis. You can call Aussie support and plead your case. You may get lucky, mate.

Thanks dhn
The unit came with a 14day 100% satisfaction money back guarantee from the vendor. Might contact them tomorrow and voice my disatisfaction and see what happens.
I suspect that TT Aus wont want to know me??
Wish me luck

Get the backup done ASAP then we can try installing the correct Navcore software to the device, I wonder if the application is hacked to let cracked maps run on it, if you install the true Navcore from TomTom and it says "No Maps Found" I think TomTom might be interested in finding out details of the retailer as well - Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike. Have backed up the unit and the SD card as per your instructions. I've sent an email to the vendor outlining my concerns that the unit might have pirated maps. I'll let you all know the outcome. I was also concerned about the poor touch screen sensitivity. It needs tip of the finger nail to operate which is not like any other 730 I tried in the shops. Don't have a great feeling about the whole thing at present.

You can download the correct software for your device by clicking HERE Then use WinRar to extract the files and folders straight to the drive letter associated with the TomTom - Mike

Last edited:
Mike, thanks for this link. I downloaded it and installed on the internal memory. I then restarted the unit and the app version still reads 8.413 No idea why the old software wasn't replaced with this version? No answer from the vendor either.
See screenshot at this link (taken after navcore replacement)

http://gallery.me.com/darren.eger/100041

Last edited:
Remove the memory card then start the device and see what the application version is by viewing it on the device (tap the sat strength meter lower right corner of the screen) followed by the version box, the resultant screen will display lots of information about the device including the version.
Do not use Home on the PC to read version information as its stupid and often gets it wrong - If you have Navcore software installed to the memory the device will boot from that, take the card out and the device will boot from internal, to remove the Navcore from the SD card put it in a card reader and click the drive letter associated with the card in Windows Explorer, you will see the folders and lots of loose file you need to remove the loose files but don't touch any folders or files within folders, when you put the card back in and switch the device on it will boot from internal memory and let you have access to the maps on both internal and SD memory - Mike

Ask a Question