Where do I configure the sound for when I get close to a radar?

Hi,

Where do I configure the sound for when I get close to a radar?

I can see where I can configure the sound (and distance) for POIs, but not for radars.

I'm using a TomTom ONE 3rd Edition, Device Software version 8.010 (I believe this is the latest version)

Thanks,
-MB

If its a TomTom supplied database then you can only turn the warnings on/ off I am not too sure you can add a sound of your own as the files are not treated as POI files by the device - Mike

Not where you would expect it...

Main Menu > TomTom Services > TomTom Safety Cameras > Change warning preferences.

Thanks for your answers.

Version 8 of the installed software has no menu item regarding safety cameras, or TomTom Services.

I understand these menu items are with version 9 (which I can't install on my device), along with a subscription from TomTom Services to get safety camera positions.

My bad. I wasn't paying attention to your model number.

Just to clarify again - what is your source for the speed camera data. There are 3 ways ... TomTom subscription, TomTom freebie, 3rd party.

Sorry it took me a while to answer.

My source for the safety cameras is the one showing up in the TomTom Home 2.7 "Safety Cameras" menu.

There is actually a list of Safety Cameras per country. This list is distinct - not the POI list.

BTW I have no idea if this data is maintained with time, I just assume the data is the one at the time I purchased the map.

Thanks
-MB

My older 720 also runs Navcore 8. I access the options that are available through

Main Menu > Right Arrow > Right Arrow > TomTom Services > TomTom Safety Cameras > Change warning preferences

As I recall, only those models with Bluetooth (GO) were assumed to have "services" -- via a tethered cell phone connection.

However, even with my 720, it is not possible to modify the sound from there as it would be on a later version as is possible on my 740. I'm not even certain where the data is that is used to generate the sound on the 720. There's nothing that accompanies the Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2 file in the map folder, and there's nothing in the "sounds" folder, either. Could be something generic in the firmware itself. Since the sound doesn't seem to be coming from any external source, I doubt that attempting to add an *.ogg file with matching filename is going to change anything.

Way back when, there was a program called "TomTomGo POI Sound Patcher" that allowed for modifying the default sounds from the data.chk file. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone ever updated that program for later Navcore versions with different data.chk files.

I'm not even certain where the data is that is used to generate the sound on the 720.
The sounds are all in the data.chk file in the root of the device.

Splitting this and adding new files is a little indepth though as new sounds will be a different size in bytes, POIExtend was another application for doing this but thats not up to date either, it might be worth putting some Labview code together over the weekend to split the file up as that will help with something else I am doing at the moment assuming I get some time! - Mike

Ask a Question