Where are Map corrections stored

When you make map corrections when using the GPS in the vehicle, where are they stored on the Card?

I Have Rider v2 and keep a second backup card. Since it takes 1-2 hours or more to copy the contents of the card to the mac, and then back again, keeping both cards in sync with any corrections I make is a slow process.

is there one single file I can copy that contains the user map corrections?

Neil

POI changes are in the .ov2 files and the deleted_poi.local file in your map folder.

I have had only sporadic luck moving mapshare road changes. Sometimes they move, then erase themselves a few days later. I can't figure it out. Try moving userpatch.dat in the root folder, and both mapuserpatch.dat and mapsettings.cfg in your map folder. Note that mapsettings.cfg also houses your favorites.

OK, thanks I'll try that.

I have two cards and an image on the PC (well Mac) so can always go back if it all goes wrong

The question that brought this up was when I started wondering how long it takes for correction you upload your self to be sent out again to other users...Is it days or hours?
Are they verified by Tom Tom people or just sent out?

That's the problem with the whole mapshare concept. Uploaded changes by users may NEVER see the light of day to other users. The specific process for vetting these changes by TomTom is not publicly known so it is unclear what the criteria is for changes by a user to actually get 'verified by TomTom' and sent out.

Oh well, if that is the case, then i may not bother in future. It is extra work and if they don't all get published anyway, then what is the point.

I live in Jersey ( the island not New jersey USA) and had been going around and putting on things like Fuel stations etc.

I think I will wait and see if any of them come back down the line to me. If I do nto see them being returned through the systemm , then I won't bother anymore,

Thanks for letting me know

Neil

It's not so much a case of TT NOT implementing the changes by users as much as the reality that those changes won't necessarily get implemented within the life cycle of the current map available or maybe even the next one.

That said, TomTom touted the fact that map 840, when released, contained thousands and thousands of changes submitted by users around the world (for their specific map). I expect that 845, due any day now, will follow that pattern of containing countless mapshare changes.

It's just that not every change submitted gets implemented. And some which do get implemented (and supposedly verified by TomTom) are incorrect and therefore screw up usewrs who download the faulty corrections.

Bottom line: While Mapshare Changes is a terrific marketing tool, it have some issues as actually implemented.

Well I just tried copying those files, but no joy,,none of my map updates copied across..

Ah welll

I forgot to mention - after you move the files (and before disconnecting), go to Operate my Device in HOME and add a favorite.

Again, maybe it works or maybe it doesn't. My Tomtom is at home right now dowloading my subscription update (and I'm at work), so I haven't tried yet with map 845.

Ok, well I have got an Apple Mac...and that part of the TT Home software does not work, you cant do the Operate Device option form a Mac

Some in the Brit forum currently installing their 845 maps are reporting their mapsettings.cfg file won't transfer. Others do the trick mvl suggests and it works. For others it does not.

I see that I can purchase a 845 map, yet the latest map Guarantee tells me I can download a new map, yet it shows the 840 as the download that is available.

I have only had the unit a week or so,
Is this right? I thought the LMG would give me that...the latest map..should I contact Tom Tom about this?

Wait a couple of days as the v845 map probably hasn't been added to the LMG service as yet, try again Friday and it might work, you should only bother contactining TT if your 28 day period is about to expire - Mike

I just noticed you have a RIDER.

On PC's "operate my RIDER" doesn't work unless you have a recent map. Probably the same on a Mac.

Once you get the 845 LMG in a couple days, try Operate my RIDER again.

I managed to get the Operate my Rider to work on the PC...so it think it is just a Mac thing...it did ok on the PC...and come to think of it on the VMware machine running Xp...so I probably could try that...was forgetting

Ask a Question