When I'm trying to find routes without tolls

Hi, I use a GO 720 like you all do on this forum, I bought this TomTom on Sunday and I was testing the state-to-state directions and such and it says, 'do you want to find alternative routes that does not require toll?' and I tabbed yes, so basically, and it is searching for routes(however MB or so that would be) and it says estimated time is 7 minutes, so I waited and it was almost completed with it's rerouting but it shuts down. Shut down meaning the TomTom is off and I would have to turn it back on again. Anyone know what is the cause of this? When I am searching for routes that does require toll, it does not do this, not at all. Thanks.

Hi, I use a GO 720 like you all do on this forum, I bought this TomTom on Sunday and I was testing the state-to-state directions and such and it says, 'do you want to find alternative routes that does not require toll?' and I tabbed yes, so basically, and it is searching for routes(however MB or so that would be) and it says estimated time is 7 minutes, so I waited and it was almost completed with it's rerouting but it shuts down. Shut down meaning the TomTom is off and I would have to turn it back on again. Anyone know what is the cause of this? When I am searching for routes that does require toll, it does not do this, not at all. Thanks.

A wild shot in the dark.....

Did you remember to fully charge the unit (2-4 hours) prior to first use? If not, maybe, just maybe, it shut down since the processing necessary might be close to draining what's left of the charge.

(mind you, you should be seeing a low battery warning if that is the case ... but that's another issue)

Before I made this thread, I suspect that as an issue as well, but the battery was fully charged. I have not tried it ever since that day.

After reading your thread I programmed in a west coast to east coast trip and my unit asked if I wanted to avoid toll roads and I said yes so it recomputed the trip but it only took 2 minutes to come up with a route. I would try it again and if it still shuts down or takes more than a couple of minutes to compute a complex route then there might be something wrong with the unit.

Richard

Okay, it's not the battery, I have charged it and I know it's not a battery issue, maybe it's a screen save issue where it turns it off? I'm not sure, I tried doing the reroute again, and after 5+/- or so minutes, the screen turns black and has the red TomTom sign. When I press it, it goes to the TomTom screen with the 'Legal Notice...

It is your responsibility to observe safe driving practices...' etc etc. So I would have to tab "agree" and it goes back to the streets and such. Is there a preference where it turns the monitor off after an amount of time or if it cannot reroute, it will shut the monitor off?

Okay, it's not the battery, I have charged it and I know it's not a battery issue, maybe it's a screen save issue where it turns it off? I'm not sure, I tried doing the reroute again, and after 5+/- or so minutes, the screen turns black and has the red TomTom sign. When I press it, it goes to the TomTom screen with the 'Legal Notice...

It is your responsibility to observe safe driving practices...' etc etc. So I would have to tab "agree" and it goes back to the streets and such. Is there a preference where it turns the monitor off after an amount of time or if it cannot reroute, it will shut the monitor off?

What happens if you go to preferences>battery saving> and uncheck (if it's checked) the option to turn off map display between instructions?

I tried on my 720 the following routes/options from OH to CA (LA):

1.Tolls = No & HOVS lanes = No
2.Tolls = No & HOVS lanes = Yes
3.Tolls = Yes & HOVS lanes = No
4.Tolls = Yes & HOVS lanes = Yes

I had no problems trying any of those options. Actually for options 1 & 2 it took about 40sec. to complete, where as options 3 & 4 took approx. 10-15sec.

If you say that you have fully changed the unit, you might want to try the follow options:
1.RESET using the pin (as it was already mentioned)
2.Flash the unit (Clear Flash Utility)
3.Make necessary updates (newest firmware, maps, GPSquickfix) - if you haven't done it already..

If all fails, I would assume that since you just got your unit you would be able to replace it (obviously, the last resort).
Hope this helps...

The thing is, that's the only place I am having an issue. From NJ to MA that is, NJ to NY, I didn't.

Ask a Question