What's your experience with RDS-TMC tarffic

I just had my first real test with the traffic feature. I live in NYC and came accross a 1 hour delay on the approach to the GW Bridge from NJ into Manhattan. My TT was was receiving the traffic signal. I have a green dot on the top of the traffic side-bar. But no traffic indication on the side bar at all. I thought it's supposed to tell me how long of a delay there is on my route. It never showed anything. If I viewed the traffic map it showed delays all around. But the side bar never indicated that I was in an hour delay of traffic. Am I missing something in my settings?

Get Green Dot but no trafffic updates

Called TT support and they reset my traffic subscription for RDS-TMS. When you go to the screen that shows Version Number of your Maps, software etc. it has a tab for Accounts. When chosen it says, "Information about your subscriptions". I have none listed. Should the RDS-TMS subscription be listed? I wonder because I can lock on stations and get green dots but have yet to receive any traffic updates. Also on the traffic screen 3 of the icons are ghosted and not selectable regardless if a route is planned and you have a green dot. I was pleased that I was able to call support and talk to a polite person but I was disappointed when they asked me to put my TT in the cradle hooked to the computer and operate my TT from the computer screen and check the traffic (it is impossible as you can't plug in the antennae with the TT in the cradle). Also if I have 710 maps and 715 N America are out and I have the 920T coupon with the scratch off serial number for 1 year of map upgrades. Why TT Home and the support Rep tell me I have the latest map. Love my TT and even with this aggravation wouldn't swap it for any other.

Apart from selling you the receiver (which includes a subscription to Clearchannel), TomTom have absolutely nothing to do with RDS-TMC data. They don't manage it, control it or send it. Traffic data is aggregated and transmitted by Clearchannel in the US.

If you have a green dot but no traffic incidents, none are being transmitted. You are tuned to an RDS-TMC transmitting station (as signified by the green dot), but they are not transmitting any traffic incidents.

That's what the TT CSR is telling me. That they are not transmitting any traffic. That's a heap of crap.
They aren't. What you think they have an FM transmitter in Amsterdam that is sending you traffic information? You don't have to believe me, just use Google. I can save you a bit of time by telling you that Clearchannel transmit the TMC info you receive.

I understand that the traffic data is not coming from TT. I know it's supposed to come from a local source. Not the canals of Amsterdam. What they're telling me is that if my TT does not showing any traffic tie-ups or delays then TMC or Clearchannel is not transmitting anything. Then why bother with the illusion of having traffic data!

Ask a Question