What's up with the POI database?

I used to have a Garmin 350. My car was broken into and it was stolen. But one thing I miss about that compared to my 720 is that the POI database seemed much better. I cannot even find any Starbucks on my 720 in my city even though I know there are at least 5 within a mile of me. Little things like that are pretty annoying. Anyone else find the POI database disappointing?

I used to have a Garmin 350. My car was broken into and it was stolen. But one thing I miss about that compared to my 720 is that the POI database seemed much better. I cannot even find any Starbucks on my 720 in my city even though I know there are at least 5 within a mile of me. Little things like that are pretty annoying. Anyone else find the POI database disappointing?

There are plenty of sites--including this one--where the user can download lots of poi's in many different categories.

Here's another link:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=20

True, you can look around and find them, however, they should be included. Before last month, I used my Pocket PC with Mapopolis and was using 2 year old maps. The maps were actually better as well as POIs on Mapopolis. Think they used Navtec for mapping. POIs were more accurately located and Mapopolis had POIs in groups such as Resteruarants with subcatagories as Mexican or Steak, French, etc. Like the speed and lots of other features on TT, but think their maps or POIs are kinda disappointing.

I definitely agree that the Garmin (and apparently others) trumps the TomTom POI database. I have added many POIs from this great site, and others, but I feel that TomTom needs to hear it. I sent a couple of emails to them, which they do eventually getting around to responding to, even if it isn't satisfying. Drop them a line or two and maybe the weight of the group will win out.

Ask a Question