What's the difference between

Hi,

Guys could you tell me the difference between the TTone XLS and the TT720.

I guess, I don't care much for the mp3 as I don't know how I will be able to use it, since I just have a stereo in my car. Also as far as bluetooth goes, I have a Verizon SLVR L7, and my GF has the Verizon SCH-U 540 or something I don't remember the exact model number.I am not sure if these phones (although) both have bluetooth can be paired with the TT.

What I care about is is text to speech, big screen. So my question is if the XLS does everything that the TT720 does except for Bluetooth, mp3 player, then I might go for that unit.

Is there any other reason to choose the TT720 over the XLS or vice versa.

Please advise

XL-S has everything I need. The only differences are the ones that you mentioned. Already have the Bluetooth headset for my ear. Go for the XL-S, Use the money you save to take your Honey out to dinner.

Last edited:
There are a few other technical differences (ex. the devices use different batteries and have different size internal memory), but for the most part the only differences were the ones you mentioned. Both devices are very good, but If you have no need for the FM transmitter, than I would go with the XL-S.

You may already know this, but MP3s aren't the only thing you can use the FM transmitter on the 720 for. It also allows you to play the tomtom's audio directions through the speakers in your car too. But like I said, you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the super quick replies guys.

So does anyone know if the phones that I have mentioned can be used with the TT720.

"It also allows you to play the tomtom's audio directions through the speakers in your car too" - Does TT XLS do this.

Here's a chart with the comparisons of the different models:

comparison-chart-070927.gif

And with 3rd party programs, you can do the MP3s and Videos on the XL-S. And you can add POI that are branded (I'm assuming that means the POI will have an icon that looks like the trademark of the store/restaurant/etc.)

Given the price difference of $60 between the XLS and the TT720 at amazon. I am now leaning towards the 720. I read somewhere that voice command can be activated on the TT720. Can this be done?

I guess if the price gap between the two would have been huge I would definitely go for the Xls.

I just now need to find a place where there is a good return policy.

I have read on here that SAM's Club and COSTCO have no questioned asked return policies.
I'm a SAM's club member. They're pretty fair on returns... but if it's not for an exchange, you may have to settle on a SAM's gift card instead of cash back. At least that's what I got when I returned a HP printer I didn't like a couple of months ago.

BTW, I was in SAM's club last week and they had the TT-720 for $350.

I had considered the 720, but it was a difference of almost $100 between the XL-S and the 720 at the time.... As my first GPS, this will do me just fine. Maybe when I buy my next one, I'll go all gusto and get a top-o-the-line one... :)

I had considered the 720, but it was a difference of almost $100 between the XL-S and the 720 at the time.... As my first GPS, this will do me just fine. Maybe when I buy my next one, I'll go all gusto and get a top-o-the-line one... :)

So which device did you end up going with? It sounds like from your description you went with the XL-S. I think its a good choice, and like what you said, you can always upgrade to more "bells and whistles" later. Somewhere down the road check out the GO 920T!!! ;)

Well, I don't need the T because there is no traffic services here - and honestly, I know EXACTLY where all the traffic problems are (and when) as we live in a relatively small city. So either I sit in the traffic (usually - because there are few routes to take to avoid said traffic) or I go way out of may way - probably wasting more time and gas by doing so - to get around the traffic.
The city planners really need to get off the potty and get some ideas flowing how to increase the throughput of the entrances into our city because especially around the beginning of Sept until Christmas, it gets pretty congested trying to get in there.
Oh well... But yeah, back on point, I will probably opt to get something with a few more bells and whistles (really would like a document reader for the times I'd like to sit in the truck and read while my wife does god knows what in the mall). But for now, the XLS with 3rd party stuff fits my pocketbook and needs.

Sounds great and good luck! I've used the XL-S before and it worked outstanding. Just remember which voice the text-to-speech function works with. I'd also be careful with the 3rd party software. That's one thing I'm not very familiar with.

Ask a Question