What wil be my fate?

TomTom Model(s)
possibly a XXL 540TM
I dropped my unit this morning.

When I switch it on I get a white screen for about a second, then it flicks slightly more white from there after. The unit will stay this way until I hold the off button for 3-4 seconds.

The unit acts no differently if I just hold the ON button for a long time. That is, no drum beat or nothing...

Is my unit now trash and I have to buy a new one? Gosh darnit... I just upgraded the map on it too...

What do you think? :(

When you connect to the computer, is it recognized? How about with Home? If you run the emulator (Operate my unit), does it appear to function on your computer screen?

When connected to the computer, Windows usually makes a sound and then I see the TT disk device. Well... that does not happen anymore.

The device will not communicate with Home nor will it respond with Operate my Device.

The unit only lights up when I turn it on, and if I hold the button for 3-4sec it shuts off.

I have a feeling I am SOL...

Hi,

please try if connecting the device while being turned off and then pressing and holding the power button until you hear the drum roll (approx. 15 seconds) will get your device being recognized again by your computer. Just look if it is shown in Explorer. If it is shown in HOME as well it is even better.

Also you may try another USB port on your computer (please don't use a USB hub at all). If it still doesn't work just to be safe check with another USB cable if you've got another one with a miniUSB plug.

Regards
Lars.

OH Lars... You get the gold star for the day !

OK, a different USB port and holding down the button for a longer time got me the drum roll.

I can now see the TT disk device AND TT Home started automatically.

At this moment the TT is simulated on my computer and the screen it sits at is at the "operate my device" screen.

What do I do from here?

Plan a route and let it be shown. Then exit the "operate my device" area and afterwards disconnect your device using the blue disconnect device button in the bottom right corner of the TT Home application. Have a look if your device boots up again as it should be.

Regards
Lars.

I can plan a route from "operate my device". Then simulate the drive to where it runs in a loop. I can do just about anything from TT Home.

Yes, I can exit the device nicely from the lower right.

I can shut it off but the unit still operates the same way... that is... it still only shows a white screen.

Maybe I did not understand your instructions?

Thanks - EG

Anyone else know how to handle this? I certainly cant see myself driving around with my laptop and TT. For one there is no voice.
What Lars was confirming was that 'most' of your unit is in running condition. Now that this is understood, it's time to consider replacing the display, usually a good bit cheaper than replacing the unit, and that's where dhn is pointing you. That said, the price I saw on that site wasn't all that great. If you're at all handy, you will find it a lot cheaper to pick up a new touchscreen/LCD assembly and try replacing it on your own.

Thanks Canderson,

I dont mind replacing the screen myself except I am clueless of the part I need to buy.

It appears the unit gets dismantled by first pealing off the TT barcode sticker. There are two screws and a tab at either end that probably get fiddled with to get the thing apart.

Any clues as to where to find a replacement XXL 540 TM screen?

Just type "XXL 540 screen" into eBay, there will be dozens of them.

Make sure you buy the combined 'screen' and 'digitiser'.

Thanks Andy,

Might it be a waste of money if I buy the touch screen digitizer? Seems only the display is broken. I am in no hurry to fix so if I find out later I do need the digitizer I can always pick that up when I know for sure. Am I right or is this a bone-head move?
-E

I've never tried the individual parts myself, but I've seen reports that it can be quite tricky to separate the digitiser from the old screen and recombine it with the new screen.

But I do know that if you buy the combined unit, it's just a single ribbon cable connection to the main PCB, which is real easy to fit.
(so long as you're VERY careful not to snap off the latches on the connector)

Ask a Question