What to do if you return, sale or buy a 2nd tomtom

TomTom Model(s)
910 w/ v7.10 maps
Hello to all. I have recently read several questions on this forum concerning account login issues with TomTom Home and multiple units. I have also experienced these problems and contacted TomTom.

Here is their response and what I found out from my experience. Some of this may seem trivial, but newbie?s may not know.

1. Using 1 Home login account with multiple units:
Problem: You already own one tomtom and have a home login. You purchase another tomtom and try to use the same login but can't?
Solution: Best solution is to create a second login (new email address and password) for the second unit and each additional unit thereafter, in order to be able to update that unit.
Note 1: You can still get your quick fix without doing this. Just choose " proceed anyway" on the first screen.
Note 2: If you accidently choese to "accociate the new unit to your current account", thats fine. But you won't be able to use your previous unit under that account anymore. You will need to create another account for your previous unit. Also read # 3 below conserning changing an account more than once.

2. You have sold or returned a unit that you already have created an account for:
Problem: The person that purchases your returned or sold unit can't create a login, because you already have one for that unit?
Solution: You must call TomTom support at 1-866-486-6866 and get that unit "deactivated" from that account. Or the new owner to use your login forever.
Note: If you purchase a tomtom and can't register an account in home, this is most likely why. Call tomtom and get them to check if your unit already has an account under that serial number. Ask them to transfer the account to you.

3. Problem: You want to move your unit from one account to another.
Solution: You can do this ONE TIME in home, thru the menu. Then after that you will have to call tomtom support to change accounts again.

4. Problem: You are at a computer other than your own and need to update your tomtom unit.
Solution: You will need to download tomtom home on that computer. Login with your account info and then update.

Corrections or other experiences are welcome. Hope this helps.

Randy R.

Hello to all. I have recently read several questions on this forum concerning account login issues with TomTom Home and multiple units. I have also experienced these problems and contacted TomTom.

Here is their response and what I found out from my experience. Some of this may seem trivial, but newbie’s may not know.

Problem: You already own one tomtom and have a home login. You purchase another tomtom and try to use the same login but can't?
Solution: Best solution is to create a second login (new email address and password) for the second unit and each additional unit thereafter, in order to be able to update that unit.
Note 1: You can still get your quick fix without doing this. Just choose " proceed anyway" on the first screen.
Note 2: If you accidently choese to "accociate the new unit to your current account", thats fine. But you won't be able to use your previous unit under that account anymore. You will need to create another account for your previous unit. Also read # 3 below conserning changing an account more than once.

2. You have sold or returned a unit that you already have created an account for:
Problem: The person that purchases your returned or sold unit can't create a login, because you already have one for that unit?
Solution: You must call TomTom support at 1-866-486-6866 and get that unit "deactivated" from that account. Or the new owner to use your login forever.
Note: If you purchase a tomtom and can't register an account in home, this is most likely why. Call tomtom and get them to check if your unit already has an account under that serial number. Ask them to transfer the account to you.

Solution: You can do this ONE TIME in home, thru the menu. Then after that you will have to call tomtom support to change accounts again.

4. Problem: You are at a computer other than your own and need to update your tomtom unit.
Solution: You will need to download tomtom home on that computer. Login with your account info and then update.

Randy R.

I know what your going through Randy!

I first bought the TT One XL S on sale from BB.com.
I ended up returning it cause it was defective and they swapped it for another one.
I had the unit for 2 weeks and then the TT720 went on sale at BB so I decided to return it and upgrade to the 720.

With the 720 I ended up having to create a new email address for the TT home account because, TT tech support closes at 7PM EST and I didnt get back from BB till 8PM.

I had to call TT tech support a four times to get the whole account thing resolved, and be able to use my default email address.

I asked them what if I had multiple(say 10) units for business use.
The cust. service rep told me I would have to create 10 email addresses for each one and I would have to log out then log in to update them one at a time.

I think its rediculous that you cannot associate more than one unit on the account. :mad:

It is ridiculous - I upgraded from a 720 and a 920 and had to use a different e-mail address too. Wasn't much of an issue personally since I have two addresses which can be used interchangeably, but it shouldn't be this way.

TomTom has a great product which I'm very happy with, but their terrible website and things like this really don't do it justice.

It is ridiculous - I upgraded from a 720 and a 920 and had to use a different e-mail address too. Wasn't much of an issue personally since I have two addresses which can be used interchangeably, but it shouldn't be this way.

TomTom has a great product which I'm very happy with, but their terrible website and things like this really don't do it justice.

Just curious..was it worth the upgrade from the 720 to the 920?

I think that's something you would need to answer for yourself. Do you want:

1. The remote control?
2. Traffic receiver with one year subscription?
3. EPT?
4. 4 GB memory?

My answer to these was "yes" so I made the switch. BTW, I got the 920T and not the 920. I don't think the 920 has #2 and not sure about #1.

Just wanted to add that if you have to replace your unit it's very easy to associate the new one with your current email address.

Just log into your account at tomtom.com

Then at the bottom click on devices. Here you can select your new model, and at the bottom enter the device code.

Took me about 3 minutes and it's good to go.

Last edited:
One 3rd vs One XL vs One XL S

OK, I like my 3rd Ed except for the WSD, there is an One XL for $50 more, seems to have relatively the same features as the One 3rd ed, but larger screen. The One XL S I believe has text to speech and expandable SD card slot, this is $150 more.

Does anyone know if these units are pretty much the same except for the above noted features? Then it is just comparing the relative worth of $50 for a larger display, and then an extra $100 for the text to speech on top of that.

This is my first GPS, and it is pretty much just a toy, but would like it to help me when travelling to Disneyworld and for camping trips in the Upper NW US and Canadian western provinces.

Is it worth mentioning the Maps are Device Specific issue in this thread.

Any chance of posting a Sticky for a Beginners Guide to Device Specific issue....?

Last edited:

Here is their response and what I found out from my experience. Some of this may seem trivial, but newbie?s may not know.

Randy R.

I have a correction to make. You don't exactly create a TT account for a tomtom. You create an account, then you add the device code for your tomtom to your account. The device itself has no memory of your tomtom account. So if you purchase a unit, associate it to your TT account, and then return it, it is not going to make any difference at all to the next owner of the unit. You could have 2 (or more) TT accounts with the same device code and you wouldn't encounter any problems, but there's no reason I can think of that you would want to do that.

The reason for having a device code associated with your TT account is for map and other product certificates. When you download a map, it no longer requires you to activate it. It automatically activates itself by creating a certificate with your device code during the download and installation process.

When you purchase a map it remains on your account for download for one year. To make sure you don't go around giving your map to everyone you know who owns a TomTom, you are only allowed to change the device code on your account once every 6 months. If you need to change it sooner than that, you have to call tech support and they will be able to see your map download history and device code changes.

...The device itself has no memory of your tomtom account. So if you purchase a unit, associate it to your TT account, and then return it, it is not going to make any difference at all to the next owner of the unit...

I hate to dredge up an old thread, but I just bought a 740 and am planning on selling my 920, so I decided to give this thread a read through. If you subscribe to any paid PLUS services, the device does contain your tomtom.com account login credentials. The same may also apply to LIVE services, but I'm still using the anonymous account during my 3 month free trial, so I don't know for sure.

In any event, I would recommend the following before selling your TomTom:
  • Reset to factory defaults
  • Remove and SD/MicroSD cards (an obvious step, but if you have a list, this should be on it)

Ask a Question