What to do after getting a GO930 for XMAS

Hi all,

I've been trying to search in the forum, which is great resource for new comers like me. However, I fail to find a number of information and I wonder if someone can help me. I've just got a GO930 for XMAS, and I've several questions.

I understand the unit comes with a latest map guarantee, and the latest map 8.15 + navcore 8.3 as read in the forum has its share of problems. There is a fix published in another forum with a link to navcore 8.320 that seems to solve the issue, but it requires loquendo voices ver 7.

1) are the voices that come with the navcore 8.x ver 8 and the hack to solve the stutters is to install v7 voices? if so, how to get other than english v7 voices, and what is lost using a v7 voice compared to v8?

2) in order to make sure I get the most of latest map guarantee, is this service effective the first time I use tom tom home and connect my GPS? if so, can I wait for the next map update which I understand should come in around January or February before installing/connecting my GO930 to the computer (i.e. is it 30days since first "registering" or 30days from date of purchase) ?

This shall get me started and I thank you in advance for your help!

Jean-Luc

The latest map guarantee is from when you first installed and ran the HOME software. It will depend on when you did that on whether or not you can wait for any new map being released in January. Personally, I would wait on checking for the 'Latest Map Guarantee' until your time is almost up.... say at least 3 weeks.

As far as the other questions, I'll let someone else who knows about that. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for your help! I've not installed tom tom home yet so I guess I can wait more then, which is good news, as if I understand properly new maps in 2009 shall include IQ routes v2?

Is it true tomtom is releasing quaterly maps, and the latest has been released around mid november?

Thanks for your help! I've not installed tom tom home yet so I guess I can wait more then, which is good news, as if I understand properly new maps in 2009 shall include IQ routes v2?

Is it true tomtom is releasing quaterly maps, and the latest has been released around mid november?

You can go ahead and install TT Home and update it to the latest version mainly to get TT's QuickFix which is a file that allows your gps to find more quickly where the gps satellites are located for about a week and also download MapShare updates that will update your version of the map presently installed on your unit.

Yes, TT issues new maps about 4 times a year with an _approximate_ three month gap between releases. They are not issued on a set date every quarter and the timing could vary from two to four months between releases. That is the reason many here will suggest a new user should wait near the end of his 30 days because, once you have taken advantage of your LMG, if TT releases a new map version 4 days later, you are out of luck on the very latest map version because it is a one time deal.

Question about Tom Tom 530 Go: SD card

Hi all :)

I recently bought a tomtom 530 go and, although I find it amazing, I am having some troubles with the SD card. Before I bought it, I read a lot about it and I was especially excited because since it has a SD card socket I could use it as a mp3 player. However, I was disappointed when I realised that there's no icon in the device that allows me to have access to the SD card content. How can I listen to the music in the SD card in the car? Is that not possible? I have contacted the customer service but their answer was not helpful in any way, because all they said was that the only way to have access to the SD card content was by using the computer. Well then, I wonder what's the point of having a SD card in your GPS if you can only have access to it by using your computer. I would really appreciate your help.

Prudence...if you have an SD card in your TT, it is automatically read by the TT...no need to select it. Everything on the internal drive and the SD card is accessible. Load your music into a folder "mp3" (lower case) on the root of the SD card. Install the SD card and you can select the music from the TT menu.

Thank you!

Prudence...if you have an SD card in your TT, it is automatically read by the TT...no need to select it. Everything on the internal drive and the SD card is accessible. Load your music into a folder "mp3" (lower case) on the root of the SD card. Install the SD card and you can select the music from the TT menu.

Thank you very much! I have tried like you said and it worked perfectly. I just don't understand why that is not mentioned in the user's manual, but anyway...

Just one more question, does it also work for pictures? I have tried it by creating a folder called "Pictures", but the GPS didn't open it. Is there a special designation? Or for pictures I must really use the internal memory?

Once again, thanks!! :)

Thank you very much! I have tried like you said and it worked perfectly. I just don't understand why that is not mentioned in the user's manual, but anyway...

Just one more question, does it also work for pictures? I have tried it by creating a folder called "Pictures", but the GPS didn't open it. Is there a special designation? Or for pictures I must really use the internal memory?

Once again, thanks!! :)

What pics do you want? You want a new start-up/shut-down screen?

What pics do you want? You want a new start-up/shut-down screen?

I would like to know how can I have access to the pictures in the SD card, the same way I have access to the music I put in the card. Like I explained you, I put both folders in the card, one called mp3 and another called pictures, but when I tried to open it, the GPS only recognized the mp3 and the pictures were no where to be seen. I thought they would naturally show up at the photo gallery just like the songs were at the jukebox.

This one is easy: create a "mp3" folder for your music (you can have subfolders in there!), and create a "photos" folder for your photos!

I would like to know how can I have access to the pictures in the SD card, the same way I have access to the music I put in the card. Like I explained you, I put both folders in the card, one called mp3 and another called pictures, but when I tried to open it, the GPS only recognized the mp3 and the pictures were no where to be seen. I thought they would naturally show up at the photo gallery just like the songs were at the jukebox.

Prudence - the folder must be named photos, all in lower case. Connect your 930 to your PC and use Windows Explorer to see the internal storage. You will see that there is a folder named photos and it has several images in it, all jpgs except for splashw.bmp. That is the splash screen that shows when you start your 930. It has a resolution of 300 pixels per inch and is 480 x 272 pixels. You can have a different splash screen by renaming the stock image and creating a new image with the same resolution and dimensions, naming it splashw.bmp and placing it in the photos folder. Then copy it also to the root of the internal drive where there is another copy of the original splashw.bmp. Your new image will replace that second original.

I'm assuming that your 930 will be the same as my 920 in these respects. I have mp3 folders on both the internal storage and the SD card and the 920 creates a music list from both folders. I suspect the same thing would happen with photos folders.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thank you all for your help! I have been absent for the holidays. I would like to wish you all a great 2009!

Ask a Question