What size SD card are you using in your 510?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 510
I want to get a 4GB SD card, and I see there are SDHC and non-SDHC versions available. As far as I know, all 1GB cards are non-SDHC and I think all 2GB cards are too. For 8GB cards, they're all SDHC.

Does an SDHC card work in a TomTom? Anyone doing this now?

I want to get a 4GB SD card, and I see there are SDHC and non-SDHC versions available. As far as I know, all 1GB cards are non-SDHC and I think all 2GB cards are too. For 8GB cards, they're all SDHC.

Does an SDHC card work in a TomTom? Anyone doing this now?

Well, the SDHC spec is not suppose to work with non-SDHC because of a new file format. However one of the mods battom has this card - Link - and said it works fine.

I use a 4G 150x Transcend.
I bought a 4GB 133x Patriot, and the 510 only sees the first 2GB... is that normal?

Grrrrr.... I tried to copy all of my files from the included 1GB card to my 4GB card, and the TomTom won't recognize it (thinks there's no card in it). :(

Last edited:
Is it SDHC or just SD?

Do you have a card reader? Maybe you can plug it in your reader and see if the computer sees all 4GB.
Plain SD. And thanks for your suggestion. The computer reads it as a 2GB card, and that's all it will format. I just assumed it was being seen as 4GB. Stupid me! :)

Back to the store it goes!

Well, the other problem was that the TomTom wasn't recognizing the new card as a "system disk". I copied everything from the TomTom-provided stuffed-to-the-gills 1GB card to my 4GB/2GB card, but when I popped out the 1GB and stuck in the new card, the 510 didn't recognize it as a TomTom system disk.

I know I've copied from SD to SD in the past (back when I had an original GO). Is there something special about the newer versions of TomTom software?

Ok, swapped the bad card for a shiny 4GB Transcend 150x card. :) Formatted to 4GB, yay. :)

So I thought "Hey, let's just do a TomTom HOME restore to empty 4GB card!" Cranked up HOME, and started the restore.... and that was 20 minutes ago. It hasn't started, from appearances. No movement in the progress bar, no activity... just sitting there "busy".

Good grief... how hard is this?

PS: I did a Select All copy with that old card, so unless there was an invisible file or something like that... maybe it was just a bad card all around.

I currently use a Transcend 150x 4G straight out of the box, no problem at all. Don't format it, if you do, do it as Fat32.
I am now filling it up with MP3, as per another thread of mine.

lec, how did you get your TomTom stuff on it? Restore? Direct copy? I'm gonna try a direct copy in just a sec.

Ok, the direct copy worked fine. Yay. :) Now I feel a bit silly because there's a sticky at the top of this section explaining how to do just what I was trying. DUH.

Thanks to everyone that helped!

Last edited:
Glad you have it going.
Yep, I do everything by copy & paste except maps (don't know how to deal with these 'cab' files :confused: ).
Avoid TomTom home like 240v eclectrical outlets, after a few mishaps:D . I even forbid it to autostart on my PC.

Ask a Question