What program are you using to creat these POI's

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 720
I have looked all over this site and tried all the old links for poi edit and poi 2go. POI edit works but does not have maps of USA I beleive or I do not know how to do it and poi2go does not work at all both web based or download as the download is not even a program it is a zip that you rename and then you unzip the cass files not a program file.

I want to create my own POi and not do it using 4 different web sites 1 to get address 1 to change to lat/lon then one to create file then 1 to convert to tom tom file for each address I want

I know there is no way anybody here that is creating these pois is doing it that way.

What program are you using that is still down loadable :confused:

the download is not even a program it is a zip ...
It's not a ZIP , it's a JAR file - you just double click on it to execute (you need Java installed).

I figured it out. When you download it you must change the name of the file before you download it. I have the program and it is working fine.

Last edited:
Anyone willing to explain the POI creation process further? The way I understand it is that you create the points using a text file and then need to convert it into .ov2 format. I wanted to check out poi2go, but I seem to have similar problems as racefan did. I don't see a way to change the filename before downloading the files and end up with .class files. As you can tell, I'm fairly lost right now.

I would just ask someone to convert the file, but I need to be able to add and remove points in the future due to client additions or losses.

Anyone willing to explain the POI creation process further? The way I understand it is that you create the points using a text file and then need to convert it into .ov2 format. I wanted to check out poi2go, but I seem to have similar problems as racefan did. I don't see a way to change the filename before downloading the files and end up with .class files. As you can tell, I'm fairly lost right now.

I would just ask someone to convert the file, but I need to be able to add and remove points in the future due to client additions or losses.

I host all of mine at POIfriend.com. Then I can go in edit them as needed fairly easily and re-download the ov2/bmp and post them here again.

I use geocoder (http://geocoder.ca) to give me the lat. and long., put the address of the location you're trying to put into your gps then click on 'Code it', that will give you the lat. and long. I then take that information and put it POIedit, once I get all of the locations I want I save the file as either a .csv file if I'm going to share it with someone, or as a .ov2 file if I'm going to put it in my TT. You can edit the .csv file either in POIedit or in MSExcel.

I have looked all over this site and tried all the old links for poi edit and poi 2go. POI edit works but does not have maps of USA I beleive or I do not know how to do it and poi2go does not work at all both web based or download as the download is not even a program it is a zip that you rename and then you unzip the cass files not a program file.

I want to create my own POi and not do it using 4 different web sites 1 to get address 1 to change to lat/lon then one to create file then 1 to convert to tom tom file for each address I want

I know there is no way anybody here that is creating these pois is doing it that way.

What program are you using that is still down loadable :confused:

Here's how I do it, I startup with Google Earth.
The fact is if you do it with this it will be exactly as where you would see it for real and on your TomTom/Garmin/Navman e.t.c.

For example I made a Total Poi for our country, The Netherlands, and each station is almost dead on the spot :)

The trick is to make a folder, for example: Burgerking and the you look on the map or input the address, you once verify if it's really there, you place a marker, and there you are.
You repeat this with every single place.
Then you save the folder as a .kml

Now you need to convert the poi to .ov2 for TomTom, you use this program:
http://www.poiedit.com/
You start the program, you load your folder, so in this case burgerking.kml
You save it as .ov2

And there you go, all you need to do is make a logo with it .bmp and then place the logos and the .ov2 file in your North America map on your TomTom.

The small logo needs to be 22 by 22 pixels, preferably 8 bit BMP (Webcolors).
Since Navcore 7 the bigger logo popin up in the left corner is now called: _x2.bmp, so for example you have burgerking.bmp and burgerking_x2.bmp (note that is an underscore, that is SHIFT + _ (next to the zero)).
The _x2.bmp needs to be 44 by 44 pixels and also 8 bit BMP (webcolors).

Once you have it all complete it will work exactly on the GPS mark and if not you can always correct it by going to menu to edit poi's and then save it with your gps location.
It's a lot of work to enter up more than a 100 locations, but it's the most accurate way.
Oh and Google Earth might take some time to start up with over a 1000 places in your folders, so you can easily get something to drink/eat, while it loads :D

This is a really old post and I'm just starting out creating POIs. I'm using Tyre because I find it real simple and for me that's key...LOL. Is that a good program?

Ned

Tyre is an excellent choice for creating POI files, there are plenty of different ways to do data conversion to all sorts of different POI file types, but if you are using a TomTom then Tyre is probably the easiest method currently available - Mike

Ask a Question