What is OpenLR?, an open-source, royalty-free dynamic location referencing technology

TomTom Model(s)
2535M Live
Ok , I know that I am not the smartest person but I do not quite understand what tom tom just announced. Does anyone know what OpenLR?, an open-source, royalty-free dynamic location referencing technology means in every day terms. Thanks for any help

It's a open-source royalty-free spec that Tomtom published.

The goal of the spec is to identify where stuff is on a map. "Stuff" can include POI, traffic incidents, business fleet locations, etc.

The goal is to allow device interoperability, different devices with different maps can still talk to each other about the locations of this "stuff".

Thanks for the info. Sounds however a little complicated. Do you have any idea as to how tomtom finacially will be affected by this system and as to how end users will directly benefit. Will 3rd party companies be allowed to add directily to this system as well as being able to make money for themselves on this contribution to the tomtom system. Just rambeling.:D Anyway MVI, thanks for your answer

Last edited:
My take: Tomtom has a lot of location-based capabilities: buddy/tomtomwork location tracking, HD traffic data, Teleatlas POI, etc.

They're probably realizing the upcoming interoperability issues with deploying these capabilities, and are hoping to push a standard so that their tech can reach a wider audience.

Imagine, for example, if Tomtom could have sold HD traffic or the tomtomwork logistics solution to the users/companies who are already deployed on Navteq maps? Or if they could sell an HD traffic service to any carrier, regardless of the make/model? Or to the disparate vendors on the in-dash OEM car nav market?

More than likely it's meant to be packaged with TA mapsets. They've already indicated their intent to put together packages with LBS included for sale to some of their map customers. They're doing what they can to turn TA's fortunes around.

A couple of thoughts, with some XL devices running very low on available storage capacity if this involves more data in the map files then either these devices will miss out on the functionality or something else will have to suffer.
I cannot see them supplying Traffic data to NT based solutions, they would need completely new Traffic tables to match the map which they simply won't have the data for - Mike

Question Mike,
Some aviation gps units are pretty much obsolete today because the size of updates got larger than their memory capability. Companies simply stopped providing the updates (and they were not cheap). Do you see that possibly happening with some of our auto units?

With devices that offer no memory expansion capability such as the SD or MicroSD card slot this will happen at some future point, maps are going to increase in detail and road coverage, POI files will be increased as they mature and other technology such as that offered by IQ Routes all take up precious storrage space.
With the advantage a memory card offers with cheap large storage available this issue is a minor niggle, but not being able to fit such a card is a major hindrance. Whether the main suppliers of this kit continue to support devices that are struggling in terms of capacity will depend upon the basic laws of commerce, if the supply of maps/ updates is gennerating sufficiant revinue they will be supported, when this dwindles to a trickle I doubt smaller file maps will be made readily available as they currently seem to be.

Lets face it a sat nav only has a life expectancy of a couple of years due to the battery and the the fact the battery is becomming increasing difficult to replace due to the pathetic way its installed, this built in obsolescence is what will prevent most users from falling in the the trap the Aviation GPS kit suffered from.

Also the technology for avaition based activities has always been considerably more costly than the car based devices, this makes it far less acceptable to upgrade every few years on cost grounds alone - Mike

Ask a Question