What is an "ECO" route?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 740 Live
My GO 740 Live gives me a planning option that I can't find any documentation on: "Always choose eco route."

What IS that? Anybody know?

It's meant to be a mix of fastest route with least amount of fuel. Not the fastest nor the shortest route in many cases. Things like stop and go traffic are avoided obviously, but perhaps even high-speed interstates too depending on the travel time difference with standard "Fastest". Speeds over 60 will waste more fuel, making secondary 55 and under roads more Eco-friendly.

Like using a top-fuel dragster to go to the corner store

Thanks for the eco-info.

But it's kinda funny on a couple levels--first, the "eco" routes are essentially the same as "fastest" routes (which are RARELY the fastest), and second, it demonstrates how much processing power this device has-yet it doesn't have the ability to either "learn" routes (like programming a macro in a word processor), nor does it allow manual input of a route.

As for many of either the "eco" or "fastest" routes, this thing keeps trying to send me on the busiest freeways (all stop-and-go), through residential areas, on "scenic" routes, and up steep hills. Fortunately, I've figured out a couple tricks to get the TomTom to do what I want.

Maybe a later version of the OS will allow saving "manual" routes or putting "weights" on roads.

Ask a Question