what is a Slip Road restriction

Hello, sometimes I notice during rush hour traffic my TomTom displays a icon that it defines as Slip Road Restriction. It kind of looks like a closed lane based on picture. Is that what it is?

I wish there would be a more current explanation of traffic icons and road colors. I see lanes highlighted in Yellow, orange , and red . I understand what those mean (slow to almost stop), But I also noticed a blue lane color in the traffic map. What the heck does that mean?? The old PDF file I found somewhere here for another version of software and traffic does not have that color listed at all.

In the US, that's probably an HOV lane that's closed (if it branches off from the main highway). I had that show up in my Seattle trip once.

In the US, that's probably an HOV lane that's closed (if it branches off from the main highway). I had that show up in my Seattle trip once.

...with HOV standing for High Occupancy Vehicle. In some metropolitan areas, cars with multiple passengers get the privilege of using special lanes with less traffic. This is to reward people for carpooling. Often, hybrid cars qualify to use these lanes, too, even if there's only one person in the car.

I only know this because I have family in the Washington, DC area. There are no HOV lanes where I live in the Rochester, NY area.

I never see HOV lanes closed down. Are you sure it can't mean something else? also what does the blue traffic highlight mean (looks like the same type as yellow, orange and red traffic flow but its blue)

I never see HOV lanes closed down. Are you sure it can't mean something else? also what does the blue traffic highlight mean (looks like the same type as yellow, orange and red traffic flow but its blue)

Some HOV lanes in Washington DC are one-way roads, with the direction changing depending on time of day. For example, the HOV lanes are open in the direction heading toward DC during the morning rush hour, and away from DC during the evening rush hour. By opening and closing certain on ramps and off ramps, they can control which direction is flowing.

So it's possible that the original poster was referring to an HOV on ramp that was closed.

Some HOV lanes in Washington DC are one-way roads, with the direction changing depending on time of day. For example, the HOV lanes are open in the direction heading toward DC during the morning rush hour, and away from DC during the evening rush hour. By opening and closing certain on ramps and off ramps, they can control which direction is flowing.

So it's possible that the original poster was referring to an HOV on ramp that was closed.

True, True , but here in Florida our HOV lanes never change or close , unless an accident blocks them.

Depends.

In Seattle, the HOV lanes open only when they're needed (the slip roads that is). Otherwise, the HOV lane "ends" and you have to merge to the regular lanes if it's off peak hours. If it's peak hours, then you continue onto the slip road that is the HOV lane.

Blue? Don't know. I've actually never seen blue.

Depends.

In Seattle, the HOV lanes open only when they're needed (the slip roads that is). Otherwise, the HOV lane "ends" and you have to merge to the regular lanes if it's off peak hours. If it's peak hours, then you continue onto the slip road that is the HOV lane.

Blue? Don't know. I've actually never seen blue.

I've never heard the term "slip roads" might it be British?

In Seattle we have hov lanes and reversible lanes am/pm peak hours.

In Seattle we have hov lanes and reversible lanes am/pm peak hours.
Yeah it is, but basically it means just that. Extra lanes or counterflow (reversible) lanes.

I think I'll take it to mean lane closed since this could be appropriate if there is an accident in same area. At least now I don't confuse it with Slippery Roads, lol.

Yeah it is, but basically it means just that. Extra lanes or counterflow (reversible) lanes.
I can confirm that 'slip road' is a British term, BUT it does not mean extra lanes. Slip-roads only refers to motorway (highway) on/off ramps.

Therefore, I assume that a slip-road restriction is a flow controlled highway on-ramp, where traffic lights control the flow of cars onto the highway at peak times. However, I have never seen these in the UK. I have seen them in The Netherlands (home of the TomTom) though, so maybe that is why you are seeing this somewhat confusing (Anglicized Dutch) term. That's my working theory at least :)

Therefore, I assume that a slip-road restriction is a flow controlled highway on-ramp, where traffic lights control the flow of cars onto the highway at peak times.

Well here in the south we don't have traffic control on/off ramps so that would not apply too. Hmm.

I can confirm that 'slip road' is a British term, BUT it does not mean extra lanes. Slip-roads only refers to motorway (highway) on/off ramps.

Therefore, I assume that a slip-road restriction is a flow controlled highway on-ramp, where traffic lights control the flow of cars onto the highway at peak times. However, I have never seen these in the UK. I have seen them in The Netherlands (home of the TomTom) though, so maybe that is why you are seeing this somewhat confusing (Anglicized Dutch) term. That's my working theory at least :)

Technically the HOV lane branch off can be considered a "ramp" right?

Ask a Question