What do these files do, and do I need them?

Discussion in 'General TomTom Discussion' started by fcoliver, Dec 24, 2007.

1. fcoliver

fcoliver

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 720
    In the TT GO720 North America map folder are a bunch of files... cspeech_[US state].dat.

I've seen references on the forum that people, to free up memory, have deleted the ones "for states I'll never visit."

What are these for, and do I need them?

fcoliver, Dec 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. fcoliver

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    Yep, I said that:eek:

These are data files that allow for text to speech for the variety of states and Canada in North America. When I had to 'squish' the NA 7.10 map onto my 2 gigs of internal memory, I had to do some serious file stripping to get the map to fit.

Each file represents the speech code for a state (which you can tell by the two letters prior to the '.dat'). For example, Texas is over 43 megs. I don't see ever driving there using TomTom. I deleted the .dat file. I also stripped out various other state files for places I can't see ever visiting.

If you think you might drive in a specific state, then best to keep it.

You haven't lost the mapping instructions for those states, just the speech component.

Further, you can remove voices from your unit if you don't plan to use them. (I kept only 'Susie', really Susan_US computer voice). Removing the others can save regain space on your unit.

I would suggest a couple of things, though:
    1. Getting a sd card of at least 2 gigs if using a TomTom 720 might be the way to go.
    2. If you do plan to strip files from internal memory, make sure you have a FULL backup on your hard drive first, in case anything goes wrong and in case you do get the memory card at a later date and want to copy back those deleted files.

dhn, Dec 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. fcoliver

fcoliver

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 720
    Thanks, dhn. I figured these files were related to speech, presumably computer speech, but I don't understand why they're so large, or why they vary so much in size, ranging from 1.5 MB to over 40 MB (TX, as you mentioned.) Particularly since my computer voice (Susan_EN_US) is only 45 MB.

Do you suppose they represent colloquial expressions or pronounciations? If so, what would be the point of that?

And what, exactly do you lose by deleting them?

fcoliver, Dec 26, 2007
  4. fcoliver

fcoliver

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 720
    Bump

I'd sure like to know more about this, as it seems potentially a huge waste of space.

Suppose I could query TomTom CSR by email and wait a few days for a response of questionable value.

fcoliver, Dec 27, 2007
  5. fcoliver

Pedro2NR

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 910, ONE V2, GO 920 GO 730 & iPad TT App
    Those files are for speech recognition.

Pedro2NR, Dec 28, 2007
  6. fcoliver

fcoliver

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 720
    Thanks, Pedro. Based on the size of the files, does that mean someone from Texas is 44x harder to understand than someone from Rhode Island, and twice as hard as someone from Illinois?

I'm curious about the variation in size for the state files.

Since I'm from NC, and I'm the only one giving spoken instructions, can I safely delete all the other states?

fcoliver, Dec 28, 2007
  7. fcoliver

Pedro2NR

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 910, ONE V2, GO 920 GO 730 & iPad TT App
    I assume the files are big because there are more cities than others in each state.
    If you wish to remove the files you do not need, then I suggest to make a backup first in case you need to go back.

Pedro2NR, Dec 29, 2007
  8. fcoliver

fcoliver

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 720
    Thanks, Pedro

When in doubt.., do nothing. I'd rather leave the files than take a chance of screwing something up.

I'm having enough issues with the TomTom already, and the 4GB SD cards will soon be cheaper and plentiful.

fcoliver, Jan 2, 2008
  9. fcoliver

Skippy88

do I need both Loquendo and Vocalizer folders on my 720? what are the difference I only want to use the computer voices anyway?

Skippy88, Feb 14, 2009
  10. fcoliver

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    For a 720, you need (and use) just the (higher end) Loquendo computer voices. You should NOT have a Vocalizer folder at all on your 720.

dhn, Feb 14, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question